• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

NCAA Approves 2018 Kickoff Rule Change

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TecVol

TecVol

VT ADMIN

• ++Admin
  • 6,001 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

A drastic change is coming to college football in 2018 as player safety continues to be a top priority.

According to Greg Johnson of NCAA.com, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new rule for kickoffs, with fair catches anywhere inside the 25-yard line resulting in touchbacks and the football being placed at the 25-yard line.

Previously, touchbacks only occurred when the kickoff was fielded in the end zone.

The new rule could help prevent teams from trying to pin opponents deep in their own territory by skying the kickoff and not giving them much of a chance at a return. In the past, any fair catch in the field of play resulted in the ball being placed at the spot where it was fielded.

More to read:

http://bleacherrepor...paign=editorial

Facebook Comments

#2 Ozonedrifter

Ozonedrifter

Born offended, and proud of it

• VOLS
  • 498 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

Maybe we should revert back to flag football rules to avoid tackling all together.  :nonono:

Or, instead of championship games, we can have awards banquets and give everybody a participation trophy.  :lightonfire:

#3 LCountyVol

LCountyVol

Tennessee All-American

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 1,387 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:56 AM

Everyone gets a trophy and football is now becoming badminton.... :shakehead:

tennessee.jpg

#4 LakeVol

LakeVol

You Talking to Me?

• ++OWNER
  • 6,404 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

Give them all leather helmets! I bet that will change things without having so many rules and restrictions.

voltalk1.png

#5 GiveHim6

GiveHim6

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VOLS
  • 4,279 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:50 AM

I'm wondering if this might lead kickers to do more low line drive or bouncing betty type kickoffs to force receivers to return the ball. It might even lead to more onside kickoffs. Although any of that would put more pressure on the coverage. It will be interesting to see how coaches and kickers adjust.

"Wake me when it's football time..."

Posted Image

#6 LCountyVol

LCountyVol

Tennessee All-American

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 1,387 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

My biggest fear is making college football boring because of the safety issues. Safety is important and I totally get that but if you make it to where the sport isn't exciting people will lose interest. Maybe not as much as what has happened to the NFL since there is the local and student support factor but still it is a slippery slope.

tennessee.jpg

#7 TecVol

TecVol

VT ADMIN

• ++Admin
  • 6,001 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

Sorry but I dont agree... All venues must be researched to make the game safer...Last year alone 2 players died on one Saturday

And I think GiveHimSix has some very valid points...

Midwestern State cornerback Robert Grays died Tuesday after suffering an apparent serious neck injury while making a tackle Saturday against Texas A&M-Kingsville, the school confirmed early Wednesday.  Grays was one of two college football players who played Saturday to die and the fifth college football player to die this year.

https://www.cbssport...all-in-decades/

#8 Skyking

Skyking

Star Player**Winner 2014 BB Pickem*

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 910 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:30 PM

My two cents.
Delay the coverage team for about 3-5 secs after the ball is kicked. Gives the returner time to catch the ball and assess which direction he wants to run. He doesn’t get blown up right after the catch and still gives the coverage team an opportunity to pin him deep.

#9 GiveHim6

GiveHim6

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VOLS
  • 4,279 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:02 AM

I thought the whole idea of the fair catch was to give the returner the chance to avoid getting blown up. If he doesn't clearly wave his arm or waits too long to decide, that's on him. There's always the chance that a coverage guy could be blocked or pushed into the returner  but I've rarely seen a coverage player just plow full throttle into a returner who's clearly called for a fair catch. And if the rule makers are concerned about the returners safety, why is this rule only applicable to kickoffs but not punts inside the 25?  :4_6_2v[1]:

Obviously the powers that rule college football felt this was a problem that needed to be addressed. I'll reserve judgement until I see how this affects the flow & strategy of the game. 

"Wake me when it's football time..."

Posted Image