• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Vols, Memphis renew hoops rivalry with three-year contract

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TecVol

TecVol

VT ADMIN

• ++Admin
  • 6,002 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

The Tennessee-Memphis basketball rivalry is officially back on.

Tennessee coach Rick Barnes, during a press conference on Monday recapping his team's season, confirmed that his Vols are in a three-year contract with the Tigers, starting next season at Memphis.

Memphis will play at Tennessee the following season and the two teams will meet in Nashville for a neutral-site game in the third year of the contract. Other Tennessee teams could play in Nashville alongside the Vols.

"It's something we had been working on with Tubby Smith since we had gotten here," Barnes said. "Don't hold me to it, but I think the way the contract sets up, we go there first, then they come here, then we have a meeting in Nashville."

Rest of story:

https://247sports.co...tract-116706378

Facebook Comments

#2 LCountyVol

LCountyVol

Tennessee All-American

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 1,389 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

Well glad this was something set up before Tubby got canned  :smily961:

tennessee.jpg

#3 GiveHim6

GiveHim6

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VOLS
  • 4,283 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

My how times have changed for Memphis. Maybe Penny Hardaway can pump some life back into their program, maybe not. But there's no denying that Memphis has fallen off the map from where they were just a few years ago, just a middlin team in the AAC, declining attendance and no post-season (again) which I guess is why Tubby had to go. Anyway, they're a cross-state rival but that's about the only selling point I see in this series.

One of the things that really gave the Vols a boost early on this season was the tourney down in the Bahamas where they faced and played well against elite teams like Purdue and Villanova. Those are the kinds of matchups that March Madness resumes are built on. Not to mention confidence builders. It seems to me those games really set the tone early on for what was to come and inspired the team to rightfully think they could hold their own against anybody in the country. And those are the kinds of games the Vols need to continue to schedule.

"Wake me when it's football time..."

Posted Image