JustPruitt

Six things about Jeremy Pruitt that I find impressive.

Six things about Jeremy Pruitt I find impressive.

Here are six things I find impressive and valuable about Pruitt.

#1 His mentality is “if it ain't broke don't fix it†and that starts with the practice schedule. Everyone gets the same amount of reps and his practices are the same as the previous places he's worked, like Alabama, Georgia and Florida State. It's a system that works so why do anything different?

#2 His abilities at studying and evaluating players are on par with other successful coaches in the SEC. Pruitt recently moved Tyler Byrd from wide receiver, to a defensive safety position because Byrd has the skills necessary to be more successful in that position. Pruitt understands what it takes to be successful in arguably the best conference in the country, the SEC.

#3 Pruitt plans to have an actual scrimmage game, rather than a glorified practice drill. This is just common sense coaching.

#4 Pruitt has assembled a stellar coaching staff with tons of SEC experience. Between the Vols staff, they have a combined 7 national championships, 21 conference championships, over 50 NFL Draft Selections, over 75 All-Americans and over 50 years of experience in the SEC.

And that doesn't include his recent addition to the staff, assistant coach John Lilly, who is a former SEC and ACC assistant with a stellar recruiting background. Lilly's list of Georgia recruits is highlighted by wide receiver Terry Godwin, defensive end Jordan Jenkins, linebacker Roquan Smith, safety Tray Matthews and tight ends Orson Charles, Jeb Blazevich and Arthur Lynch.

#5 Pruitt was able to take a recruiting class that was ranked 50th in the nation, all the way up to 20th, in just a few short weeks. That's very impressive for a first year head coach, especially considering he was hired only two weeks before the early signing period.

#6 Pruitt is a straightforward guy. He tells it like it is and he speaks with confidence and knowledge. There's no time for silly catchphrases are gimmicks. His hard-nosed attitude is just what this team needs. As a former two-time National Recruiter of the year, he knows how to relate to the parents of these young men by building that trust, when it comes to developing players on and off the field.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading!

Pruitt has many accolades I admire, and has done well every where he's been. I don't expect that to change, but now he has something to prove. I like that in a football player, as well as a coach. However hopeful, I remain in wait and see mode.

Wait and see is all we're going to be able to do. Some of the same things were said about how BJ would improve the program (and he did) even though it was a flash in the pan of success.

The biggest difference I see so far is that unlike our previous 3 HC's none of Pruitts former teams fanbase's (ect) are telling us how bad of a hire he is.

Now that's a reach, but we were warned before. And come to find out, spot on...

I think the whole wait-and-see mentality is something everyone does with a new head coach. A better title would be 6 things that set him apart from Butch Jones or the last three coaches. @okfloray that's a good point, especially the Bama fans. They can't stand it! It eats them up to know that Phillip Fulmer stole a piece of Alabama pie, and now they get Butch Jones, the same coach they made fun of, haha! But most people have nothing but good things to say about Jeremy Pruitt.

Having said that I'll give him props for the coaching clinic he's putting on next week for the benefit of high school coaches in the area.

Pruitt and his coaching staff will conduct sessions during the clinic, and a keynote roundtable will include Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer, Duke coach David Cutcliffe and former UT quarterback Peyton Manning. Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels are among the other coaches scheduled to speak.

I remember how the HS coaches complained about being ignored or shut out by Dooley and how much that hurt in state recruiting. What was he thinking? Even Butch wasn't that stupid. There's no question forging solid relationships with in state coaches is a win-win strategy for all involved. 

And BTW, where's all this meddling Fulmer was supposed to be doing now that he's AD? I know it's still early in his tenure but for one thing, everything I've read and heard about Pruitt leads me to believe he wouldn't put up with it. And for another, Fulmer seems to be nothing but supportive while staying out of the way so far.

Having said that I'll give him props for the coaching clinic he's putting on next week for the benefit of high school coaches in the area.

Pruitt and his coaching staff will conduct sessions during the clinic, and a keynote roundtable will include Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer, Duke coach David Cutcliffe and former UT quarterback Peyton Manning. Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels are among the other coaches scheduled to speak.

I remember how the HS coaches complained about being ignored or shut out by Dooley and how much that hurt in state recruiting. What was he thinking? Even Butch wasn't that stupid. There's no question forging solid relationships with in state coaches is a win-win strategy for all involved. 

And BTW, where's all this meddling Fulmer was supposed to be doing now that he's AD? I know it's still early in his tenure but for one thing, everything I've read and heard about Pruitt leads me to believe he wouldn't put up with it. And for another, Fulmer seems to be nothing but supportive while staying out of the way so far.

I couldn't agree more GH6! I think both Pruitt and Fulmer are paying attention. Solid!