• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

John Adams, of all people, with hard facts about our defense

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SavageOrangeJug

SavageOrangeJug

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 8,134 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

Rarely do I even read anything John Adams has to say, much less post it. This is scary.

You thought Tennessee played wretched defense in 2012 under coordinator Sal Sunseri? It did. But it never had a stretch as dismal as UT’s last four regular-season games against teams from Power Five conferences.

In Game 10 of last season, Kentucky gained 635 yards. Missouri followed with 740 yards. Vanderbilt gained 608.

Add Georgia Tech’s yards to that, divide by four and you get an average of 659.5 yards per game. In the worst four-game stretch on Sunseri’s watch, UT gave up an average of 507.3 yards per game. Based on how things are going, maybe the Vols should rehire Sunseri.

Just kidding. But, after all, UT’s defense has become a joking matter.

And if it leaves Florida fans laughing Saturday, Jones should get a new defensive coordinator.

These are not the top teams gashing us for record numbers of yards. These are the bottom feeders.

If Vols' defense falters against Florida, Butch Jones should get a new coordinator

Facebook Comments

#2 pawprint

pawprint

Tennessee All-American

• BANNED
  • 748 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

First off, CBJ's Will to Win, will keep us from a big "L" against Florida! Next, I believe we have a contract with our OC (three year, at over $1,000,000.00/year), it would not only set back our Def development  at least 3 years[ to get a new OC], but  it would be expensive. Yes we've allowed a lot of yards, but in the long run, we're winning, we're on the road to a perfect season right now. When CBJ took over the team, the entire program was in a "dumpster fire", look at how well we've been doing, CBJ got us a new OC, and we need to give him a chance, at least a few seasons.

#3 LakeVol

LakeVol

You Talking to Me?

• ++OWNER
  • 6,374 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

First off, CBJ's Will to Win, will keep us from a big "L" against Florida! Next, I believe we have a contract with our OC (three year, at over $1,000,000.00/year), it would not only set back our Def development  at least 3 years[ to get a new OC], but  it would be expensive. Yes we've allowed a lot of yards, but in the long run, we're winning, we're on the road to a perfect season right now. When CBJ took over the team, the entire program was in a "dumpster fire", look at how well we've been doing, CBJ got us a new OC, and we need to give him a chance, at least a few seasons.

You're getting a little repetitive! And we have someone already on staff which has been a good DC in the past in Hoke. No doubt he's contributed to our upcoming recruiting classes as well.

voltalk1.png

#4 okfloray

okfloray

2016 1st Place Pick Em Winner

• +MODERATOR
  • 3,231 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

I see that JA is still reliably pointing out the obvious negative. I didn't read the article because I'll never get that 5 minutes of my life back.

On the last play of the GaTech game the Vols defense just manhandled GT's offense, multiple guys penetrated the LOS, and disrupted the play in the backfield. I believe we could have been playing that style of defense the whole game. But Tech would have been cutting our guys, and somebody would have gotten injured.

Then Adams would have been criticizing CBJ's decision making, and going on about why didn't he do something to protect our players.

So fu*k the dumb 'chit, we won. Our season starts saturday, GOBIGORANGE!!!
td.gif
Out of appearant neccesity and in order to minimize the confusion, all of my postings are simply my opinion based upon nothing more than my own observation and habitual blabbyness. For the record I make no claim of being an expert, and have no "insider" status regarding Tennessee sports programs, their players, coach's, opponents, or anything that could be mistaken as remotely associated with them.
-GOBIGORANGE

#5 SavageOrangeJug

SavageOrangeJug

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 8,134 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

#6 SavageOrangeJug

SavageOrangeJug

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VolTalk Supporter
  • 8,134 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

All perspective on Tennessee football has been lost

#7 pawprint

pawprint

Tennessee All-American

• BANNED
  • 748 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

Responding to SavageOrangeJug's post, All perspective on Tennessee football has been lost,​ one paragraph stood out:

"Starting with Griffith, him using the “3 games in 13 days” excuse and the “17-4 record in the last 21 games” statement are both ridiculous. The former is simply an excuse if Tennessee were to falter in one of the three games, and the latter is nitpicking of the highest order. Sure, the Vols are 17-4 in their last 21 games, but with zero division titles to show for it, who cares? Every other program with similar records in that span either has a conference title, CFP appearance, or a National Championship." 

While this may be true, it doesn't take into account how far CBJ has taken the team, from a dumpster fire, to "just a hair away from the SEC Championship, or the NC! Not to mention how great he [CBJ] has been recruiting! We're just few days away from our third win, staying on the road to a perfect season-bringing back the 90's!!!

#8 GiveHim6

GiveHim6

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VOLS
  • 4,210 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

One other thing Adams said this week that I can go along with is that even if the Vols can beat the gators it doesn't mean they're good enough to win the division. These aren't the gators of old, I expect a tougher challenge from the dawgs. But whether it's Franks or Zaire at QB I'd like to see the defense really go after them. Get into the backfield, sack 'em, at least disrupt their timing. Against Michigan for the most part neither responded very well to pressure and even when they did their offense couldn't cash in.

"Wake me when it's football time..."

Posted Image

#9 Piddlin

Piddlin

Tennessee All-American

• +MODERATOR
  • 647 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

One other thing Adams said this week that I can go along with is that even if the Vols can beat the gators it doesn't mean they're good enough to win the division. These aren't the gators of old, I expect a tougher challenge from the dawgs. But whether it's Franks or Zaire at QB I'd like to see the defense really go after them. Get into the backfield, sack 'em, at least disrupt their timing. Against Michigan for the most part neither responded very well to pressure and even when they did their offense couldn't cash in.

:JC_goodpost:

Posted Image