• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

QB Controversy?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: QB (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you have more confidence in?

1. Dormady (11 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Guarantano (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LakeVol

LakeVol

You Talking to Me?

• ++OWNER
  • 6,374 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Who do you think we have a better shot at in 2017?  I know it's only been two games but I'm concerned with both. Your thoughts?

voltalk1.png

Facebook Comments

#2 cowhampshirevol

cowhampshirevol

Vol Starter

• VOLS
  • 79 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

Dormady shows more poise.

#3 scvol

scvol

Vols Star Player

• VOLS
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

Dormady, because he doesn't pout to get playing time

#4 LakeVol

LakeVol

You Talking to Me?

• ++OWNER
  • 6,374 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Dormady, because he doesn't pout to get playing time

:thumb_yello:

voltalk1.png

#5 GiveHim6

GiveHim6

Vol Fan Hall Of Famer

• VOLS
  • 4,210 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

Footballs a crazy unpredictable game. Let things play out...

"Wake me when it's football time..."

Posted Image

#6 okfloray

okfloray

2016 1st Place Pick Em Winner

• +MODERATOR
  • 3,231 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

From the little we seen from JG vs IllSt I think it's pretty obvious that Dormady will be our QB going foreward.

Not to slam JG, but Dormady is way ahead. No controversy.
td.gif
Out of appearant neccesity and in order to minimize the confusion, all of my postings are simply my opinion based upon nothing more than my own observation and habitual blabbyness. For the record I make no claim of being an expert, and have no "insider" status regarding Tennessee sports programs, their players, coach's, opponents, or anything that could be mistaken as remotely associated with them.
-GOBIGORANGE

#7 Ozonedrifter

Ozonedrifter

Born offended, and proud of it

• VOLS
  • 473 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

The Texan for sure!

#8 Piddlin

Piddlin

Tennessee All-American

• +MODERATOR
  • 647 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

I have more confidence in Dormady right now (not that my confidence is thru the roof), but I think down the road we are going to win alot of games with Gman.  I wouldn't blow the "pouting" thing out of proportion just yet.  Keep in mind these "young men" aren't far from getting a driver's license and can't buy beer yet.  They still have alot to learn.  With that being said, if it continues to be a problem, it needs to be squashed!  

I think that Dormady, while I have more confidence in him, is a fish out of water in our offense.  The "read" concept is useless with him in the backfield.  Nobody we face will be worried by Dormady keeping the ball.  We are 2 dimensional with Dormady (run, pass).  Guarantano gives us the 3rd dimension (run, pass, qb run).  

Suggestion:  Change the offensive scheme, or change the qb.  Right now we have a pro style qb running a zone read offense.   

Posted Image

#9 scvol

scvol

Vols Star Player

• VOLS
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

Unfortunately the only way our offensive scheme changes is with a new HBC. That's why we cant get an OC worth a flip. They know their just a puppet to the way Jones wants to run the offense. It's hard to watch for me. There is nothing I hate worse than shotgun formation on first and goal from the five. Guess I'm just to old school but just can't warm up to the read option. I'm afraid it may get ugly in the swamp. Not sure we score more than 10.

#10 Piddlin

Piddlin

Tennessee All-American

• +MODERATOR
  • 647 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Unfortunately the only way our offensive scheme changes is with a new HBC. That's why we cant get an OC worth a flip. They know their just a puppet to the way Jones wants to run the offense. It's hard to watch for me. There is nothing I hate worse than shotgun formation on first and goal from the five. Guess I'm just to old school but just can't warm up to the read option. I'm afraid it may get ugly in the swamp. Not sure we score more than 10.

I agree with you about the shotgun for short yardage, and goalline situations.  I've coached the wishbone offense as well as the zone read at the high school level.  Both have there place, and we ended up doing a bit of both with very little personnel changes depending on down and distance.  I don't see the Vols doing that though.  It doesn't matter what type of QB you have in a power offense........you just need them to hand the ball off.  But in a Zone Read type offense, you have to have a qb that is a threat to keep it.  Dobbs did a great job of that last year.  Dormady is not that type of qb (that isn't a knock on Dormady).   

Posted Image

#11 LakeVol

LakeVol

You Talking to Me?

• ++OWNER
  • 6,374 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

I would double my yearly donation to see the Jet sweep go away!  :verypissed:

voltalk1.png

#12 okfloray

okfloray

• +MODERATOR
  • 3,231 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

"But in a Zone Read type offense, you have to have a qb that is a threat to keep it."

Exactly right. The qb doesn't even have to gain yds the way Dobbs was able to. He only has to be a "threat" to affect how the defense assigns to cover the play.
td.gif
Out of appearant neccesity and in order to minimize the confusion, all of my postings are simply my opinion based upon nothing more than my own observation and habitual blabbyness. For the record I make no claim of being an expert, and have no "insider" status regarding Tennessee sports programs, their players, coach's, opponents, or anything that could be mistaken as remotely associated with them.
-GOBIGORANGE

#13 Piddlin

Piddlin

Tennessee All-American

• +MODERATOR
  • 647 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

"But in a Zone Read type offense, you have to have a qb that is a threat to keep it."

Exactly right. The qb doesn't even have to gain yds the way Dobbs was able to. He only has to be a "threat" to affect how the defense assigns to cover the play.

And Dormady isn't as big of a threat to keep it as you are Okfloray!  Maybe they should suit you up brother! :egyptian:

Posted Image

#14 okfloray

okfloray

• +MODERATOR
  • 3,231 posts

• Team Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

And Dormady isn't as big of a threat to keep it as you are Okfloray!  Maybe they should suit you up brother! :egyptian:
I have considered this upon occasion. And while I am willing, most of my free time is taken up bull-dogging in the rodeo these days...
td.gif
-GOBIGORANGE