Countdown To Christmas!

RobVOL

Vols win on senior day in last home game 66-24

91095FFC-65D5-4799-B143-085920D018D0.jpeg

Congrats to all the seniors. Way to come back from the Georgia loss.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- — Hendon Hookerthrew for 355 yards and three touchdowns and also ran for a score to lead No. 5 Tennessee to a 66-24 victory over Missouri on Saturday.

The Volunteers (9-1, 5-1 Southeastern Conference, No. 5 College Football Playoff) were impressive offensively but had trouble containing a Missouri (4-6, 2-5) attack that has struggled this season. The Tigers rushed for 173 yards, more than any other team against Tennessee this year.

Missouri quarterback Brady Cook did the most damage, running for 106 yards and throwing for 200.

Tennessee's Jalin Hyatt caught seven passes for 146 yards and a touchdown and Bru McCoycaught nine passes for 111 yards.

Hooker threw for 229 yards in the first half (17 of 24) as Tennessee led 28-17 at intermission. Cook had 94 yards passing and 86 rushing for Missouri. His late 40-yard scramble set up a Harrison Mevis field goal as time expired.

Giving up 24 to that rag tag bunch is worrisome. If Hooker and O not clicking they will get steamrolled in any playoff or bowl game. Regular season success will be a mirage unfortunately if it ends in a dud. Will ride the wave as long as I can but I don't like the after effects.

Missouri's defense has given up an average 304 total yds this yr. More than doubling that, Tennessee's 724 total yds against the #13 ranked defense is an all time school record. The previous record of 718 yds came against Troy in 2012. 

Tennessee's 66 points is overall the most ever scored in a conference matchup.

Th'Vols have scored over 50 points 5 times this yr. The most times per season, in college football history. 

Jalin Hyatt has 1116 receiving yds on the season, with no less than 2 games to go. That's good enough for 3rd place all time at Tennessee, following Marcus Nash (1170 yds in 1997), and Robert Meacham (1298 yds in 2006). Hyatt's 15 TD catches this season is tied for 6th place, all time SEC. 

Bru McCoy's 3rd +100yd recieving game came vs Mizzou, 91 yds before halftime. Dylan Sampson was the #1 rusher for th'Vols vs Mizzou, 98yds with 1 TD. 

Princeton Fant scored 2 TDs vs the Tigers. Utility guy, this season he has caught 2 TD passes, rushed for 4, and passed for 1. 

Joe Milton went 3-3/105 yds passing vs Mizzou, with 1 TD.

I know that statistics can be broken down across many variables.  It is no secret that The Vols have an explosive offense and can score points.  I was watching 'cover three' this morning and they were talking about the Vols chances of making the play-offs.  Of concern is the quality of opponents' relative ranking throughout the season.  The Pitt win no longer carries much weight, The Florida Win no longer carries much weight, The Kentucky Win carries no weight, The Missouri Win carries little weight. Only the Bama and LSU games matter a whole lot.   Neither the SC game or the Vandy Game do anything for us either, even if we stomp them by a margin of 40 points.  If we win out, we deserve to be there.  Letting Brady Cook get away with those passes is very very troubling though.  I don't care if we had 724 yards and hung 66 on them, that was sloppy play down the field.  Remember: Georgia man-handled us.  They mauled us with stick-figure Stetson Bennett at the helm.  Regardless of who we play, we can't be letting teams with a good defense hamstring our receivers.  If our offense is slowed down, we will be outscored....like Georgia did to us , because apparently we like to give our opponents receivers a five yard cushion.

Talking heads, bah.  :pluck:

Those are the same pundits that picked Pitt/Florida to win. Since that didn't happen, now they change the narrative to "those games don't matter"?

Loser's always say, "It doesn't matter". Winners go home and pork the prom queen. :ohyeah:

I remember the 98 Natty.  There were a lot of people, a LOT of people, throughout that season that said "Tennessee is just so dang lucky."  By blurting out such a statement, it revealed just how much they didn't believe that the team was a worthy contender.  I could say the same thing about a lot of teams through the years, including Bama, USC, and others--not to mention Notre Dame against our baseball team last year.  At the end of the day if you win--you win.  A lot of talking heads love for the Vols this year was based on the way we took down the giants.  Bama, LSU, FLorida when--according to them--we shouldn't have been able to.  I really think that this team deserves to be there.  I think we're better than TCU, better than Ohio State, and as good offensively as Michigan.  It seems like there is a groundswell of opposition against us getting there.  If we do get there, we can't play the same schemes against Georgia as we did the last time.  Giving Retch-some Bennett chunk yardage like that about made me want to sentence Martinez and Banks to 20 years in the electric chair.  It ain't no secret that Georgia is stacked 3-4 deep with 5 stars everywhere,  next time (Which, hopefully, there will be a next time) Golesh and Heupel are going to have to break out the colored markers and get that ground game going.  They can practice the plays on the gamecocks and Vandy.  Whatever Martinez cooks up, break out the eraser and tell the players....don't get punked and stay on your friggin' man.

Weird shaped ball bounces funny.  :blink:

Sometime, somewhere, often more than once every football team that's won a Natty has gotten lucky. "Th'Vols sure got lucky when Arkansas QB Matt Stoerner fumbled in '98." But sometimes "luck" can be generated. Lost in all that is Darwin Walker. He'd been whipping the Razorback oline all game long. 2 guys couldn't block Darwin, the strongest man on the team. Who incidentaly, still holds the lifting record at Tennessee, nearly 25 yrs later. 

So the offensive center stepped back to absorb Walker's rush, right onto Stoerner's foot. Causing him to stumble, and leave the ball on the ground. Luck? Well, the timing was certainly gracious, and that much is intangible. But Darwin worked hard to be there in that moment, and the old folks say the harder you work the luckier you get. 

Now th'Vols find themselves in the predicament of having to win out, and the way things are need someone ranked ahead of them to lose. I don't anticipate the selection committee to 'give' them anything. Even if they win out by a combined score of 200 points it won't be enough to move up to a playoff spot. It's the committee and the media who concepted the idea of 'style points' in the first place, and went on to give it significance. So I'm not going to whup up on any football coach for running the score up now. But it's not going to help us, I don't think. We need somebody, ideally a couple somebody's to lose. Namely TCU, and the best chance of that will come in their conference championship game. Shaping up I think, vs OkieSt. 

Which ideally, we need TCU to lose a game prior to that. Winning the CC, as a one loss conference champion the committee will give them the nod if it comes down to it. From what I've read SOS/QOW's, which th'Vols lead everybody in, plus an identical record simply fails to impress along side of a conference championship. 

That's enough about them SunzzaBytch's. :horny:

The winner of Ost/UM is a lock no matter if th'Vols play, stay, piss or pray. It's the loser we have to worry about, and how they end up ranked. At this point I'm ready to believe the losing team won't drop out of the top 10, and possibly not out of the top 5. Especially if the loser is Ost. Because it's 'The Ohio State', and I don't want to get into all that. 

In a flimsy manner of prospective closing thoughts, I'd like to say that it's my opinion that UT matches up pretty well with any possible playoff team right now, With the exception of Georgia. They can just 'fresh-leg' ya to death if they wanted to. Nobody matches up with Georgia, I can't see anybody beating them... And while I'm at it, the "hard to beat somebody twice' thing is demonstratably false. I just wanted to say it before anybody else does. 

Tl;Dr I know. Anyway, thx for making it this far.  :victory: