SavageOrangeJug

Our defense had ZERO tackles for loss and no sacks...Ball St.

I think Pitt and I am certain Florida are losses. D-line had no push at against powerhouse Ball St.

Our defense sucks, especially the defensive backfield. Willie Martinez is one of the worst coaches in football. Nice guy, Mark Richt, even fired him.

Until Heupel realizes it is not all about offense. We are nothing more than a cupcake beater and an automatic W for good teams.

• Upvote 1

I would have to agree. I'm still waiting until after Pitt before making judgement but this offense only mentality sucks. I've been saying it since Heupel got here. Will look good against mediocre teams but will lose against better teams. Especially physical strong SEC teams with strong defenses.

Whoopy-Doo...  :4_13_13[1]: Th'Vols defense dominated BallSt anyway, and never got out of their base defense. If I had a complaint, it would be the funky defense on BallSt's TD possession. I don't know if it was personell, or they were running sets they hadn't practiced a lot. But it looked like nobody knew what they were doing, and BS made'em pay for it. Even so, midway 3rd Qtr, it came against our 2's and 3's. 

But in the first half, facing our starters BallSt had 8 offensive possessions that resulted in zero points. 3 times they elected to punt. For the rest they turned the ball over on downs twice, were intercepted twice and gave up 1 fumble.

Sac's? We don't need no stinking sacs! Actually some sites are giving th'Vols credit for 2 TFL's, but I'm not going to mention that.

For the game 76 net rushing yds for BS, no TD's. Of those, their #1 guy had 27. I ain't got much to say about that, it kinda says it, all by itself... But otherwise I didn't expect BS to have a big day running the ball. I don't have any reason to believe running the ball was an essential part of their game plan. Certainly they weren't going to win that way, but I'm kinda surprised their yds were that low.

BallSt showed their offensive game plan on the very first play of the game. When's the last time somebody ran a flea-flicker on the first play? I guess I've seen it before, just can't remember when. Anyway, th'Vols were ready for it. And their QB got creamed on the play. He got creamed on a lot of plays, it seemed like every other throw he was getting up off the ground. TV cuts away, but you could see the rush was disrupting his time to throw downfield. If there's a stat for QB hurries anywhere upon the interwebs I'm tired of looking for it. But by the time their QB threw his next Int in the second qtr, BS offense was already getting out of their downfield passing game, and were playing more like getting the ball out of the Qb's hands on quick routes.

Which, they weren't gonna win like that either. Weren't planning on it, not after a week of practicing something else. Anyway, by then it was halftime, the game was out of hand, and thVols virtually came out of the locker room substituting.

In the end I can't think of one good reason to show tendacy's and risk injuries in a game that doesn't determine anything. That's what I need, somebody to tell me one good reason. Then I'll shut up about it. Until then my observation based opinion remains, BS didn't do anything to force th'Vols out of their base defense. We handled them just like we should have. That's what a good defense does. Besides, for the record it's a win. In another week, that's all anybody will remember. 

One more thing and I'll quit. In recent memory I've sat and watched th'Vols lose too many of these home openers.

Dammitt..!!! I'm going to feel good about winning. 

Woo-Hoo! GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Alabama didn’t record a sack in their first game either. 
Also - almost every Ball St pass was a two or three step drop.  Quick passes.   Hard to get a sack on that when you only rush 4 and never blitz.  

Like last year I think our weakness will be the quick offense.  The O is in and out so fast the D does not have time to rest and we don't have the depth to sub.  

17 minutes ago, Ole Smokey said:

Also - almost every Ball St pass was a two or three step drop.  Quick passes.   Hard to get a sack on that when you only rush 4 and never blitz.  

I would agree with that. My concerns will be either subsided or elevated after the Pitt game. 

25 minutes ago, Ole Smokey said:

Hey Ole Smokey. 

I see you watched the same game I did.

2 hours ago, RobVOL said:

I would agree with that. My concerns will be either subsided or elevated after the Pitt game. 

"Yawn"... :icon34:

:tongue1:Awww wake up there buddy. I know as you get older, sleepy time comes early. Time for the early bird special...

Looky here whipper-snapper. :nonono: The older the fiddle, th'sweeter the music.

But that ain't why I came here, I wanted to show ya what I found. 

ATOZSPORTS.COM

A to Z Sports Your On-Demand Sports Talk Show. Live Weekday Mornings at 8am in Nashville, Dallas, and Kansas City. Tennessee Vols
Read more  

2 hours ago, okfloray said:

Looky here whipper-snapper. :nonono: The older the fiddle, th'sweeter the music.

You and I came out of the fiddle factory...same vintage. While it might true about a musical instrument...I call bullshit about us "older gentlemen". :yeahrite:

An old fiddle sounds good as soon as you pull the bow across the strings. Now, stand up and walk across the room. How many steps did it take to be fully upright, 4 or 5?  :whistling:

6 hours ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

You and I came out of the fiddle factory...same vintage. While it might true about a musical instrument...I call bullshit about us "older gentlemen". :yeahrite:

An old fiddle sounds good as soon as you pull the bow across the strings. Now, stand up and walk across the room. How many steps did it take to be fully upright, 4 or 5?  :whistling:

Sheeit... It ain't my fault. All this new fangled  furniture sits too low. :blink:

It ain't the straightening up, it's the getting up.

If it wasn't so embarrassing I could use some help.