RobVOL

Tennessee loses Music City Bowl in OT

purdue.jpg

I am tired of seeing this crap. Tennessee should have never went for it on 4th down on the first one. They got lucky and then TRIED it again. You NEVER go away from an OT possession without points. Heupel screwed the pooch again in my opinion. Keep thinking Heupel is the solution. I will see you again in another mediocre bowl game next year.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Boilermakers won a wild Music City Bowl in OT over Tennessee on Thursday

I'll say this much, the refs certainly stole our last TD in OT. They're saying Smalls wasn't down by contact, but his forward progress had stopped. Obviously it wasn't stopped if he was able to make the play by extending the ball over the goal line. Fant could have just as easily been flagged for assisting, but that's not part of the issue.

Now they're saying the late whistle is irrelevant. Appearantly the late whistle is irrelevant, until it's relevant enough to be an excuse for making another bad call/non-call. 

As for my takeaway regarding thVols, we've got too many of Pruitts players on defense. Well, on second thought we ain't got enough of anybodys players on defense. But the ones we have are either Coneheads players or transfers. And other than a couple exceptions, it's the transfers who are making all the plays. It's been like that all season long, but dammit we sure could have used Alonte. 

Speaking of things all season long, this RZ offense needs a fix. 

2 hours ago, okfloray said:

Speaking of things all season long, this RZ offense needs a fix. 

Offense? We better find some kind of defense. This might be the worst defense I have ever seen Tennessee field. Our DC is a joke. Tim Banks needs to be fired today.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

Offense? We better find some kind of defense. This might be the worst defense I have ever seen Tennessee field. Our DC is a joke. Tim Banks needs to be fired today.

I totally agree with you Savage. I was at the game and there was never an adjustment made on defense the entire game. Tim Banks should be fired immediately, he is the worst DC to ever step foot on Rocky Top! 

They never improved, the last game of the year was worse than the first real game....Hefrfurd gave up 40 points per game to the 6 games he lost... the dc started last in sec and got worse as the season progressed.   Seems most of us have forgotten Hurfurd tok 13-0 team and in 3 years had them 6-5....

• Upvote 1

Sick of being stroked by the administration and walking away with blue balls. Defense abomination. Red Zone offense and Hookers pocket presence needs serious upgrade. I think this is ceiling though for Heupel. The SEC is too good too fast for his brain. Beat GA LSU or Bama and I'll gargle peanut butter with Rob. I'll fly my ass down from NH to do so.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SgtVol said:

They never improved, the last game of the year was worse than the first real game....Hefrfurd gave up 40 points per game to the 6 games he lost... the dc started last in sec and got worse as the season progressed.   Seems most of us have forgotten Hurfurd tok 13-0 team and in 3 years had them 6-5....

Bingo

BTW I'm sick and tired of Analytics. How about coach intuition and gut feeling. You know how many times Tennessee left three points out there for all that going for it every time it's fourth down this season? Yeah Tennessee got shafted on the run for the TD. Still should have taken the three points. By not scoring anything you screw yourself in overtime. 3 Points is better than NO POINTS..

You are absolutely right Rob, If Heupel had taken the 3 points we could have gone into the 2nd overtime and maybe won the game. But I am not convinced that he is smart enough to make those types of decisions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

Nah. We just don't have the type of db's that can make up for the absence of starters Alonte Taylor and Brandon Turnage. And it was made very obvious.

So they give up 39 instead if they both played. Not good enough Ray. Time for overhaul. Whee we got to a bowl game. When's the ticket taper parade? Expectations have lessened since 2000. 21 years of mediocrity is ludicrous.

22 minutes ago, cowhampshirevol said:

So they give up 39 instead if they both played. Not good enough Ray. Time for overhaul. Whee we got to a bowl game. When's the ticket taper parade? Expectations have lessened since 2000. 21 years of mediocrity is ludicrous.

Just one thing that I would like for you to remember. 

You said that stupid shit, not me.

This defense reminded me of the infamous Sal Sensuri "Buddy Hackett" defense under Dooley.  No matter how many points we score the defense always manages to give up more.  I sure hope the transfer portal is full of linebackers, corners, D lineman and a stud tailback.......  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, okfloray said:

Nah. We just don't have the type of db's that can make up for the absence of starters Alonte Taylor and Brandon Turnage. And it was made very obvious.

We didn't do worth a damn with them there. Not one iota of improvement in the secondary from the first game to the last.

There is a reason Willie Martinez doesn't hang around anywhere very long. 

1 minute ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

We didn't do worth a damn with them there. Not one iota of improvement in the secondary from the first game to the last.

I think the whole defensive staff needs to go, especially Banks!

8 hours ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

Obviously we did improve in the defensive secondary with the emergence of Brandon Turnage. For his performance in his first start vs SoCaro Turnage was recognized as SEC Defensive Player of the Week. Turnage has started every game since, and along with Alontae Taylor was one of the players that didn't participate in the MCB. Therefore it's no coincidence that the unit's performance fell off in the BG, missing both impact starting players.

UT gave up 29.07 points per game in 13 games.

In 6 losses we gave up 41.83 points per game.

We're not winning anything with numbers like that. 

Nobodys denying that, but you can't lay it off entirely on the DB's. We need help at nearly every position. By the numbers thVols entire roster is equal to everybody else's travel squad. 

In the same 5 regular season losses thVols gave up an average of 265 passing yds. 

Vs Purdue, 534 passing yds. That's a plus of 269 yds in that one game. 269 yds is more than the total passing yds Florida had vs thVols,(222) more than 'OlMiss had (231), more than Georgia had. (213)

I would respond to this but I'm too busy trying to catch Matt Corral as he runs through middle... Again....

That's the reason Ole Miss only had that many passing yards. Why throw it? Corral just kept running. The DC never adjusted or put a bandit on that guy. It's sickening. Stats are a funny thing. You can make them say anything you want. Still, this staff sucks. Forget all of it. Next season they'll be back in the same place. Mid tier in the SEC. Just wait until Oklahoma and Texas get here. Maybe lower tier SEC after that.  I'll take bets right now. Next season. 100 bucks says they don't win more than 8 games in the regular season. Any takers? 

8 hours ago, okfloray said:

In the same 5 regular season losses thVols gave up an average of 265 passing yds. 

That is because they ran the ball straight down our throats. We couldn't even slow them down, much less stop them.