RobVOL

Hooker's breakout game spoiled by another Tennessee loss

2021-09-25_22-37-34.png

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Tennessee may have found its quarterback. But the Vols lost once again to No. 11 Florida, falling 38-14 Saturday.

UT (2-2, 0-1 SEC) suffered its 16th loss in the past 17 games against the Gators (3-1, 1-1 SEC).

Quarterback Hendon Hooker, a Virginia Tech graduate transfer, kept the Vols in the game. But his fourth-down pass was dropped by Jimmy Calloway, streaking wide open across the middle, late in the third quarter.

Calloway may have scored. He would’ve at least put UT inside the 15-yard line with a chance to tie the game with a touchdown. Instead, Florida took the ball and marched 70 yards for a tide-turning TD and 31-14 lead.

The Vols missed their chance and never recovered as the crowd of 88,478 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium grew louder down the stretch. Here are five more observations from UT’s loss to open SEC play.

Hendon Hooker played like an SEC starter, left with injury

Hooker retained the starting job for a second straight game. And he may keep it for good, if he's healthy. With 9:02 remaining in the game, Hooker suffered an unspecified injury when he was sacked and did not return.

Joe Milton, who started the first two games, relieved the injured Hooker and finished the game. It was Milton's first appearance since suffering a leg injury against Pittsburgh on Sept. 11.

Hooker recorded four TDs in his first UT start against Tennessee Tech a week earlier. But this was his first taste of an SEC stadium on the road, and he played well in the environment. He was 13-of-23 passing for 221 yards and two TDs. 

Honestly, I felt Hooker played very well and I will stay off of criticism of him. He played with heart. Game balls for Evans, Hooker and a purple heart for Cooper Mays. Still, I am not satisfied with Josh Heupel. I am tired of the friends and family hires. Danny White the AS had just kept up the tradition. Josh Heupel is in way over his head in my opinion.

Hooker played well. The best I have seen against good players since he has been here. Still, please get rid of Milton. I am so sick of seeing this guy. He is terrible. Go with Hooker and develop Bailey more. Milton can be 3rd string if he is lucky. I am have seen some good players on this team. Hooker, Evans, Small, Jackson, Taylor and the defensive line looks decent and could be developed. There is some talent there. I just think Heupel isn't the guy. Why does Tennessee continue to go cheap ??????

It is a shame but I am tired of asking this question every year...... "When does basketball season start?" 

:hmm:

Good thread. Hooker can be worked with but team too undisclipined and penalties and getting off field on third etc. That starts with coaching. SEC is big boy football and grown up Bobby Hill is overwhelmed.

11 hours ago, RobVOL said:

2021-09-25_22-37-34.png

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Tennessee may have found its quarterback. But the Vols lost once again to No. 11 Florida, falling 38-14 Saturday.

UT (2-2, 0-1 SEC) suffered its 16th loss in the past 17 games against the Gators (3-1, 1-1 SEC).

Quarterback Hendon Hooker, a Virginia Tech graduate transfer, kept the Vols in the game. But his fourth-down pass was dropped by Jimmy Calloway, streaking wide open across the middle, late in the third quarter.

Calloway may have scored. He would’ve at least put UT inside the 15-yard line with a chance to tie the game with a touchdown. Instead, Florida took the ball and marched 70 yards for a tide-turning TD and 31-14 lead.

The Vols missed their chance and never recovered as the crowd of 88,478 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium grew louder down the stretch. Here are five more observations from UT’s loss to open SEC play.

Hendon Hooker played like an SEC starter, left with injury

Hooker retained the starting job for a second straight game. And he may keep it for good, if he's healthy. With 9:02 remaining in the game, Hooker suffered an unspecified injury when he was sacked and did not return.

Joe Milton, who started the first two games, relieved the injured Hooker and finished the game. It was Milton's first appearance since suffering a leg injury against Pittsburgh on Sept. 11.

Hooker recorded four TDs in his first UT start against Tennessee Tech a week earlier. But this was his first taste of an SEC stadium on the road, and he played well in the environment. He was 13-of-23 passing for 221 yards and two TDs. 

Honestly, I felt Hooker played very well and I will stay off of criticism of him. He played with heart. Game balls for Evans, Hooker and a purple heart for Cooper Mays. Still, I am not satisfied with Josh Heupel. I am tired of the friends and family hires. Danny White the AS had just kept up the tradition. Josh Heupel is in way over his head in my opinion.

I totally agree with you RobVol, I was just disgusted that Bailey didn’t come in for Hooker, everyone but Heupel knows that Milton is as bad as JG was. We a complete moron for a coach!