RobVOL

Vols win opener in unimpressive fashion

Untitled.png

A wins a win but truly this team needs help. So many holes. So many issues. Too many to count. Still, Vols did win so there's that. They play like this against Pitt better chalk up a loss in that column. I've had my doubts about Josh Huepel. He did nothing to squash those doubts. Any person with experience playing football knows that score at the end was a mirage. Let's hope there's improvement from game one to game two or winning 6 games might be even a stretch

WWW.SI.COM

Despite some first-half mishaps, Tennessee took down Bowling Green at Neyland Stadium for the first win of the Josh Heupel era.

And before anyone gets excited about this win read this:

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Every year there are teams that are trying to build something special but are starting at the bottom. Heck, some of these programs are adapting to having an FBS program, while some are just wallowing in the basement of power conferences. Some watched their 2020 season literally waste away as circumstances have them out here flailing away.
Read more  

The defense played above expectation. I'll give them that much. 

If Tennessee continues to play like this i think they finish 2021 4-8 and 1-7 in the SEC

I'd agree with that. 

9 hours ago, RobVOL said:

I'd agree with that. 

I'm really pessimistic right now i don't think the quarterback Coach Heupel needs for his offense is on this team. I hope Danny White wont be looking for a new head football coach in 2024 or 2025.

I wasn't impressed. As we say up here a fake win. Give me some real competition and then I'll reevaluate but I may have to change my prediction if 6 wins to 4 or 5.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 3:51 AM, RobVOL said:

Untitled.png

A wins a win but truly this team needs help. So many holes. So many issues. Too many to count. Still, Vols did win so there's that. They play like this against Pitt better chalk up a loss in that column. I've had my doubts about Josh Huepel. He did nothing to squash those doubts. Any person with experience playing football knows that score at the end was a mirage. Let's hope there's improvement from game one to game two or winning 6 games might be even a stretch

WWW.SI.COM

Despite some first-half mishaps, Tennessee took down Bowling Green at Neyland Stadium for the first win of the Josh Heupel era.

Heupel  inherited a 13-0 team and in 3 short tears , mean years, had them at 6-5.... will make Pruitt look like Johnny Majors

• Like 1

All we needed was to win vs BG, and come away virtually unscathed. When the Falcons started dropping multiple LB's into pass coverage they fairly conceded the outcome by playing to avoid the blowout. As a result th'Vols took what BG was giving them, and  made the right offensive adjustments and playcalling to win the game. 

Milton's recieved a lot of criticism for overthrowing open receivers. The first thing I want to say about that is, don't mistake your view from an advantageous elevated position to the view from field level. Whether watching from the bleachers or from home on TV, we can see over that LB who's in the passing lane. But he ain't made out of glass, the QB can't see through him. As much as we hear it, and no matter how much somebody might want to believe it, perception is not always reality. So don't let your spectator view fool you into thinking everything down on the playing field looks the same way as it does on TV. 

OK, now I'm beyond certain that nobody on here does that. But already I've had no less than three self proclaimed football experts express wonderment about if they can sit a hundred miles away and see an open reciever on TV, then why can't Milton find them from thirty yards away. Hearing somebody saying crap like that makes me want to just grab them up and snatch them bald headed. And just that soon I'm positive they've never been involved with a game of organized football in their life. So that's my rant for the day, and I'm done with it. 

Two things about overthrowing the football, and first I'll cite (which means paraphrase) NFL Hall of Fame QB  Terry Bradshaw. "If you're going to miss an open wide receiver downfield, it's better to overthrow him than to underthrow him. That way he's the only one with a chance to catch the ball". Second thing, a throw under pressure that lands safely on the field is just as good as a throw that lands safely out of bounds. Both accomplish the same thing, except one looks like a bad pass and the other is attributed to heads up play. The point is, with the benefit of choosing my mistakes, in every case possible I'd prefer my QB overthrow a WR that's behind the coverage than to underthrow him. 

Anyway, the BG game is in the win column. The season begins next week, hopefully I'll be watching. I'll save my evaluation for then. 

• Like 1

I don't need to be at the game, on the sideline or watching from my TV to know not playing Bailey is suspicious at best. Forget Milton's throws and accuracy, even Milton's mechanics were terrible.  I'll use your argument about watching from TV and being able see what's going on. The coaches never saw Milton in live football since he decided to transfer but that was enough to beat out Bailey who shined in the orange and white game? Something's not right there. 

I saw nothing that made think Tennessee has made strides in the right direction. I am tired of trying to be a guy that sees that glass half full when it is almost always half empty and full of piss to be dumped on you. I am staying skeptical until I see something played well against a team that is not ranked in the bottom 10 worst teams in college football. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, so today I got to watch the 2nd half of the replay. As advertised, Milton is one heck of a physical specimen. And got a gun, 40-50 yds through the air on a rope. And as far as the accuracy thing, it would be good to have him put some air under a couple balls, take some heat off of others.

But here's the thing, I'm not sure it's fixable. Dudes a four year player, it's not like he hasn't been coached already. At this present stage I believe, he's the ballplayer he's going to be... 

I think the coaches know exactly  what they have in Bailey, and would have played him vs BG if they had to. That's why he was listed as #2 QB on the depth chart. But they didn't have to play Bailey, so they took the opportunity to not only make final evaluation of Milton, but Hooker as well. 

Now the window for evaluations has closed. It wouldn't come as a surprise to see Bailey get the start next week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, okfloray said:

OK, so today I got to watch the 2nd half of the replay. As advertised, Milton is one heck of a physical specimen. And got a gun, 40-50 yds through the air on a rope. And as far as the accuracy thing, it would be good to have him put some air under a couple balls, take some heat off of others.

But here's the thing, I'm not sure it's fixable. Dudes a four year player, it's not like he hasn't been coached already. At this present stage I believe, he's the ballplayer he's going to be... 

I think the coaches know exactly  what they have in Bailey, and would have played him vs BG if they had to. That's why he was listed as #2 QB on the depth chart. But they didn't have to play Bailey, so they took the opportunity to not only make final evaluation of Milton, but Hooker as well. 

Now the window for evaluations has closed. It wouldn't come as a surprise to see Bailey get the start next week. 

That makes sense. I could see that. You are right about Milton is not gonna get much better in technique. So maybe they wanted to see what they have. That is a good point.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, okfloray said:

All we needed was to win vs BG, and come away virtually unscathed. When the Falcons started dropping multiple LB's into pass coverage they fairly conceded the outcome by playing to avoid the blowout. As a result th'Vols took what BG was giving them, and  made the right offensive adjustments and playcalling to win the game. 

Milton's recieved a lot of criticism for overthrowing open receivers. The first thing I want to say about that is, don't mistake your view from an advantageous elevated position to the view from field level. Whether watching from the bleachers or from home on TV, we can see over that LB who's in the passing lane. But he ain't made out of glass, the QB can't see through him. As much as we hear it, and no matter how much somebody might want to believe it, perception is not always reality. So don't let your spectator view fool you into thinking everything down on the playing field looks the same way as it does on TV. 

OK, now I'm beyond certain that nobody on here does that. But already I've had no less than three self proclaimed football experts express wonderment about if they can sit a hundred miles away and see an open reciever on TV, then why can't Milton find them from thirty yards away. Hearing somebody saying crap like that makes me want to just grab them up and snatch them bald headed. And just that soon I'm positive they've never been involved with a game of organized football in their life. So that's my rant for the day, and I'm done with it. 

Two things about overthrowing the football, and first I'll cite (which means paraphrase) NFL Hall of Fame QB  Terry Bradshaw. "If you're going to miss an open wide receiver downfield, it's better to overthrow him than to underthrow him. That way he's the only one with a chance to catch the ball". Second thing, a throw under pressure that lands safely on the field is just as good as a throw that lands safely out of bounds. Both accomplish the same thing, except one looks like a bad pass and the other is attributed to heads up play. The point is, with the benefit of choosing my mistakes, in every case possible I'd prefer my QB overthrow a WR that's behind the coverage than to underthrow him. 

Anyway, the BG game is in the win column. The season begins next week, hopefully I'll be watching. I'll save my evaluation for then.