RobVOL

Tennessee football is SEC team CFB writer is most concerned about

I dont disagree with his opinion either....

The transfer portal clearly hit Tennessee football harder than any other program. Numbers tell the story on that front, and for one college football analyst known for making accurate predictions, it’s a reason for concern.

According to Austin Nivison of 247Sports, analyst Phil Steele said on Paul Finebaum’s radio show Wednesday that Rocky Top is the SEC team he is most concerned about. The changes to the roster and among the coaches were named as the big reasons for the concern.

Steele noted that the Vols lead the nation in players hitting the transfer portal, and that’s a pretty valid reason as to why he had Tennessee football at the top of his worried list. Here’s a bit of what he said in his explanation.

“Twenty-five have hit the portal this year, you’ve got new schemes on offense and defense, a new head coach. I think it’s going to be tough for Tennessee to stay near the top, the middle of the pack or the upper half.”

Obviously, this has been a huge reason for concern. However, it’s hard to gauge how much of a concern the roster turnover is when you have a coaching change. Theoretically, even if you had all returning starters, the new scheme and new coaching would work the same.

However, nobody has seen anything like what happened to Rocky Top this past year, so it’ll be interesting to see if that has an added affect on a program going through a coaching and schematic change. Given the level of change facing Big Orange Country, it’s possible.

On the other hand, UT lucked out with a bit of an easier schedule this year. They get all four non-conference games at home, and their one Power Five non-conference opponent is the Pittsburgh Panthers. Then they get to host the Vanderbilt Commodores and South Carolina Gamecocks, two teams they beat and finished ahead of last year who are also undergoing coaching changes.

That’s already a path to six wins, and you have to think that maybe they could steal another one either at home against the Ole Miss Rebels or at the Kentucky Wildcats. Heck, maybe they have an opportunity to upset the Missouri Tigers. The Florida Gators, Georgia Bulldogs and Alabama Crimson Tide are sure losses.

Overall, Tennessee football has lots of things working against it, and Steele didn’t even mention the affect the NCAA investigation could have on the mentality of the program. However, there is still some excitement brewing in Knoxville, Tenn., and there are certain positives. As a result, the Vols could pleasantly surprise fans just like they could collapse.

Like it or not this is an honest opinion. we can all hope like we have for over a decade but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Maybe 6 wins with some of the weaker teams but that is a BIG maybe and still pathetic for UT.

Well, the transfer portal is virtually a new thing, and every year somebody has to be most/least.

The past couple years hasn't been exactly typical for thVols. The new regime and the pathetic condition of the previous regime has contributed greatly. While everybody's trying to get to the other side of the covid and other shared set-back issues, th'Vols are being compared to teams with settled coaching staffs and athletic dept. executives. Our situation is already more than marginally different, and we still have the NCAA shit hanging over our heads. 

Timing sucks for us right now. Suddenly players can transfer without sttting out a year, another new thing that contributes. I think if we just give it five or six years, teams losing 8-12 players in the portal will become the new normal. 

3 hours ago, okfloray said:

8-12 players in the portal will become the new normal. 

Of course it will be. Because now we have to cater to every little thing to these prima donnas. I sure feel bad for all the student athletes that were never coddled like this new generation. I have about had it with all college and pro athletics. Maybe High School football? That hasn't been completely tainted yet has it? :Suicide:

We ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until they start paying college athletes for endorsements. 

Crash and burn...:blowup:

All this NIL stuff? Yeah just wait :verypissed:

Honestly I am tired. Still here and still a fan and will always be one, but until Tennessee can show something consistent and a winning tradition is reestablished, I am just not going to get too excited. This has been going on since Fulmer was let go. I am sick of this quite honestly. With hanging NCAA issues and the transfer portal acting as the exodus from Knoxville I am just tired. Watching Henry To'oto'o leave and go to Alabama was the last straw for me. There isn't enough hype videos, feel good statements from Huepel or Peyton Manning saying good stuff about the Vols to convince me anymore. I am in the wait and see mode and currently, I am feeling this is a 6 win team with a weak schedule at best. I am not sure they even can beat Pitt this year. 

Could be wrong, but I am not drinking the orange kool aid. I am a watch and wait fan now. I guess I am just gonna be realistic. 

:2cents:

Quite honestly I cannot say that I blame you.

:yeahrite:   Other than Bama, UGA, and Florida, the rest of our games seem winable. I'm waiting to see how our first three games go. But right now I'll take six wins and a BG this year. Any more is gravy. 

Kentucky I hate to say it might be better than Tennessee now. Stoops has done a good job. I see 6 wins but it might be ugly or better than some think. I’ll say the former.