SavageOrangeJug

Josh Heupel fired the guy who beat him out of the Heisman

Good. :ohyeah:

Hell, I would have fired Weinke two years ago.

Can you name one improvement our QB's have made since Weinke's been here?

:dunno:  Just one?

I agree. Weinke sucked

I'm fairly certain there wasn't a whole lot of coaching going on at all over the last three years. And know this, I won't speak in absolutes. And that's the only reason I'm not saying there wasn't any coaching going on. There sure as heck wasn't any recruiting going on, not in any way that someone might traditionally think of.

It wasn't just Weinke. I'd guess he took a look around, and decided he was going to try and get in where he fit in. For now, I'm not exactly dancing around the room about Jim Chaney's, Tee Martin's or Derrick Ansley's contributions either. To say nothing about Jeremy Pruitt, except for bad habits trickle down from the top. In fact, I can't think of anybody on the coaching staff who appears to have went out of their way to develop a football player.

As much as I want to make an exception for Jay Graham, I'm not convinced that Gray is better than he was as a freshman. Gray's been on the receiving end of a lot of experience, but coming in it was inevitable he was going to be the number one RB. Even I could see that. 

Perspectivly and prospectively, Trey Smith is (was?) arguably the best player on the whole damn team. But ya know, hasn't he always been? Very much like Gray, Smith was the best o-lineman the day he showed up on campus. 

And I'm not even going to get started about who failed at making game preps. Well, maybe not. I don't intend to. Not right now anyway.

So who is it? Who on Tennessee's roster, either presently or recently departed, can you say is a better football player today, than they were two or three years ago? 

I'm ready for it, change my mind. Tell me of this player development over the last three years. Who's the standout?

Weinke should have never been hired.

I had forgotten that Heupel was a very good QB at OU. I remember him as a player now.

10 hours ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

They also played each other in the 2001 Orange Bowl.  Heupel got the better of him there too.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Orange_Bowl.  In fact, we had 3 NC winning QBs on staff for a few days in Tee, Weinke, and Heupel.

• Upvote 1