Bigarnj1

Another one gone? Really??

I need some good Intel. This is like a Mass exodus. Is Volnation the new Jamestown and people don't want to drink the Kool Aid? I need answers. Rob or Atomic needs to weigh in.

Quick Google search, didn't find anything about HT entering the transfer portal. Tweet could be about anything, so I'm not reading anything into it yet. 

Here's a list;

Deondre Johnson- entered transfer portal yesterday. Big loss.

Jarrett Guarantano- gone. That's all.

Austin Pope- Sat out this year, back surgery.  Tested positive for Covid-19.

Jordan Allen- JC transfer, replaced on depth chart

Baylen Buchanan- couldn't get cleared to play.

Brandon Johnson- JC transfer, replaced on depth chart.

Savion Williams- partial contributer.

JT Shrout- transferred to Colorado.

Kivon Williams- dismissed from team.

Point is, other than Deondre Johnson I don't see any others that hurt us all that much. The impression I get is most of these guys have simply been recruited over.

Brandon Johnson lost his #1 receiver spot to a true freshman. Shrout, I hoped he'd emerge. The thing I liked best about JT is he wasn't JG. Jordan Allen never emerged, Savion Williams never emerged. Austin Pope was a good enough blocker but he couldn't catch a cold. I liked Buchcanan, he played well. But he has some kind of degenerative bone issues in his spine that's keeping him out. His playing days might be over, one big hit could leave him paralyzed.

A little analysis, a little fact checking, most of these guys just ain't outstanding ball players. They're not the type guys that are going to get us to where we want to be. It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. We'll never compete with Alabama and Florida with anything but the best ballplayers out there.

They leave on good terms, end up somewhere with lower expectations. Good for them, good for the Vols. That's how I see it.

Fair point OK. As long as the road graders and hustlers keep coming I'm fine with that. Just don't  fool fan base out and brag about these 4 star QBs that roll in here and have the deer in headlights. Sick of being sold a bag of wooden nickels and I'm not the only one.

What we desperately need is headhunters on the defensive line. Leonard Little, Reggie White kind of guys that give QB's nightmares. 

Then we could be disruptive, and wouldn't have to constantly commit our LB's to covering the running lanes. The way things are now, everybody we play knows our LB's are going to bite on play action. They have to, our DL isn't getting it done.  

Tough to find those kids OK when we're getting lit up and winning 3 to 4 games a year. Kids don't want to wait around they'd rather go to a winning program. I agree with your reasoning 

7 hours ago, cowhampshirevol said:

I need some good Intel. This is like a Mass exodus. Is Volnation the new Jamestown and people don't want to drink the Kool Aid? I need answers. Rob or Atomic needs to weigh in.

I have some thoughts. I'll post em later when not mobile. Not feeling good right now. I do agree with OK on the impacts other than shrout. You know my thoughts on him. Something is brewing or perculating right now. It might subside though. Way too many drama Queens using covid as excuses to be stupid even in local Knoxville media and Tennessee admins. 

It's pretty obvious the QB's aren't being developed. Either that, or they just ain't very good to start with. But I have a hard time believing that when they have an offer list as long as my arm.

Star ranking are given by journalists, recruitment offers are given by coaches. I'll go out on a limb here and say that coaches know a little bit more about player potential and what to look for than journalist's do. Even so, player development counts for just as much as anything else. 

Now you can't make chicken salad outta chicken 'chit. First you have to recruit the right guys, then you have to develop their skills. Not just physically, mentaly too. A lot of guys play well and get by in highschool simply because they're the best athlete on their team, and better than almost everybody on the teams they play. Then they get to college and now their natural altletic ability that served them so well in the past, simply isn't good enough anymore. So they have to abandon everything they've done before, and learn position technique. 

This is where a lot of guys bust out, regardless of coming in with a high star ranking. They either won't, or can't learn the position and can no longer get by on athleticism. The term that gets thrown around is 'uncoachable'.

The coaches can only work with what's handed to them, there's no magic button. So development is a two way street, and the players contribution equals the coaches. Or not.

All it takes is one look to see plainly how many defensive players Jeremy Pruitt has put in the NFL, and there's no denying he is very good at developing football players to the next level. I'm certain he hasn't forgotten how, and he knows what kind of ballplayer it takes. That's what he's selling to recruits, and that's what they will come to UT for.

This is observable, tangable, and measurable.

Don't fall for the clickbait crapola that's going around. 

The issue is he hired recruiters and not coaches and it backfired. We will see moving forward if he learned from it

I know I am hard on Fulmer and Pruitt at times. Why? Because somebody needs to be.

I just want Fulmer to admit one time that he started the downfall by trying to ride his laurels.

With Tennessee's history, tradition, facilities, and financial resources. There is no excuse for being a bottom tier team. NONE!

Bring in a coach and pay them $12 million per, if that's what it takes.

Every dime Bammer has spent on Saban and his high paid staff. Has come back dressed up like a quarter.  You would think our administration would learn from seeing that. 

Agree Jug. Part that concerns me is the years keep clicking by and the alumni who give good $ to go to games or other avenues are fed up. Something needs to change from top down or we become a Vandy or second tier program. 

20 hours ago, Atomic City said:

The issue is he hired recruiters and not coaches and it backfired. We will see moving forward if he learned from it

Well, that explains Neidermeier. 

• Upvote 1