RobVOL

Freshman QB Bailey 'continues to improve' for Vols

GettyImages-1025923874-775x465.jpg

Tennessee's open date gave the Vols a chance to work several of their younger players who were trying to catch up after missing practice time during the preseason, and one of them was touted freshman quarterback Harrison Bailey. The Vols were able to give three groups full workloads during their four practices last week, and Bailey needed as many as he can get as he tries to expedite his development. Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt said Wednesday that Bailey is making the most of those opportunities and improving on a daily basis.

The quarterback situation appears to be in flux for the Vols heading into Saturday night's game at Arkansas (7:30 p.m., SEC Network), at least behind embattled fifth-year senior Jarrett Guarantano who appears likely to maintain his starting job.

The backup job appears to be up for grabs with Tennessee giving game reps to Bailey against Kentucky and Brian Maurer against Alabama since J.T. Shrout had a mistake-strewn three-play cameo in the loss to the Wildcats last month.

Both Bailey and Maurer got increased work the week of the Alabama game with Guarantano limited by an injury and Tennessee gave the young quarterbacks plenty of work in practice last week as well. Maurer was slowed in the preseason by a hamstring injury and by spending time in quarantine. Bailey missed the first week of practice while in quarantine and was shortchanged on his practice reps after he returned due to Tennessee having so many players missing two-week chunks of practice.

Read more on 247:

:HappyDance2:Bailey getting some props. But I expect Maurer to go in if JG pulls a JG. 

Well, normally I would. :smiley_watchout: But I keep forgetting that this year doesn't count against eligibility. So it might be Bailey... :dunno:

I'll bet it is. :bouncesmile:

Not really. :tongue1:

Yeah, it's Bailey. :4_16_1[1]:

Unless it isnt. :banghead:

GO VOLS! :Tennrules:

That about sums it up. :funny34d: