RobVOL

Sankey says SEC will know about playing football by July

Just in case you all missed this:

On Monday, Sankey joined The Rich Eisen Show to talk about college football in 2020. Sankey said that he thinks by late July, the SEC will know whether or not it is playing college football this year.

“I think that’s probably a late-July time period. My thinking has shifted a bit,” Sankey said. “We started June 8 after a two-week oversight, diagnostic medical exam period for these voluntary activities. We’ll have three or four weeks — on the 13th of July is when a little bit more practice can begin. I think we deserve the chance to see how that progresses. I would say before we get into full-blown practice, you’re going to be in that decision-making process as it relates to what happens on Labor Day weekend, which is the scheduled start of the season.”

This comes as good news for schools in the SEC and their fans. However, there is still an issue about if other conferences would follow their lead, if the SEC decided to play. All in-conference teams will be on the field if the SEC says so, but that doesn’t mean every SEC team’s entire schedule will be.

Alabama is set to face off against USC from the Pac-12 Conference in a massive game in Arlington, Texas. Ole Miss is supposed to face Big 12 foe Baylor to start its season in Houston. Vanderbilt is scheduled to travel to Kansas State in the early weeks of the season. And those are just a few examples.