SavageOrangeJug

Johnny Majors has passed away

BDC45912-1557-4BA2-B857-F514FDB2CB0F.jpeg

Former Tennessee head football coach and College Football Hall of Famer Johnny Majors has died at the age of 85. Jackie Sherrill, a longtime friend of Majors and a coach under Majors at Pittsburgh, confirmed the news on Wednesday according to the Knoxville News Sentinel. The cause of death has not been made public at this time.

Majors was involved with the University of Tennessee for decades. He played for UT from 1953-56 and was named the SEC Player of the Year in both 1955 and 1956. He was elected into the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1987.

As a head coach, Majors got his start at Iowa State in 1968 before taking over at Pittsburgh in 1973. He led the Panthers to an undefeated 12-0 mark in 1976 and won a national title that season with a 27-3 victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

In 1977, he returned to Knoxville as Tennessee’s head coach. Over a 15-year career, he led the Vols to three SEC championships (1985, ’89, ’90). He also won the Sugar Bowl in ’86 and ’91.

Very strange to have two of the sec greats die right after each other. Dye and now Majors. If ever flags in Tennessee should be at half staff it's today. 

I merged both our posts. Very sad day folks very sad day. 

It's been a long time since Johnny came marching home in '77. He took over a program that had fallen into mediocrity and worse. Younger fans might not remember and older fans might forget how far the program had fallen. It wasn't easy and it didn't happen overnight but it was a testament to his determination, recruiting and coaching ability that he was able to right the ship and put Tennessee football back in the spotlight where it belongs. The win over Bama and the Bear in '82 is one of my favorite memories, as is the win over #1 Auburn when they knocked Bo Jackson out of the game, the comeback against Notre Dame, the Sugar Bowl upset over Miami, and on and on. 

Thanks for the memories coach.

I knew majors. I'm heart broken

The football world lost two giants in a very short span. First Coach Dye, now Coach Majors. God Speed to you both! RIP

Dadgumitt.

:smiley-drinking: To Johnny Majors. Glad he was one of us.

Sad News. Sorry when I heard this. I never got around to posting anything because of all this crap going on right now. So many memories of Majors as coach.