RobVOL

Looks like JG is coming back

Ok look, never been a fan. I've been clear on that. But what's everyone's thoughts on this? He's been loyal. I'll give him that. But I'm ready to move on to all Pruitt's players. Looks like though Pruitt is all in on keeping JG. I'll trust Pruitt. 

Thoughts?

JG's gonna JG, that 'chits just what it is. The next guy on the DC was a true freshman this year, I'm still amazed that anybody thought Maurer was going to take his spot. Now the same folks want to pee in their pants about Harrison Bailey coming in and taking over for JG. Obviously HB's got future written all over him, he's already on campus and that's cool. But in the real world I can't see him supplanting JG next year, and honestly with the rule change I'd rather see him RS for a year. Maybe...

Such things happen, but I'm of the opinion that laying those kind of expectations on a true freshman are just someones way of setting themselves up to be disappointed. At the same time though, I wouldn't mind being wrong about all that. 

I'm not going to defend JG, I'm through with all that. I think we've seen him play as well as he's capable of doing. And clearly It's not enough. But as long as he's here he's going to be the QB until somebody actually steps up and takes the job away from him. HB's an unknown commodity right now, Maurer's too skinny to cast a shadow, and JT has the look, but it's like he can't get hooked up or something. From what little I've seen. 

Now I'm going to drop the bomb.

I think JG played better last year, than he did this year. He was more composed, and didn't hurt his team. He only threw two pics last year, I'll give him credit for that much. This year it's like, with a couple exceptions I could measure the better ball-play for the Vols. We even grinded out a game or two, and I like dogshet outta that because it reflects leadership and accountability. To continue, there's no better character traits for young men to hold.

Then somehow or the other, I could almost just sit there and wait for JG to screw the game up. They'd bench his ass. When they put him back in the game he was bang-bang, points on the scoreboard. And to top that off, the whole time the Vols were on a five game winning streak to finish the regular season. Overall I'm happy like a hog in slop. But I'm pissed at myself because I can't figure out wtf's up with that.

I agree with you on that. Not sure he is that much better than Maurer or Shrout but he might be the best we have to for now. I REALLY REALLY like Bailey. He meets the skillset and type of QB Pruitt and Cheney wants. I do not think he is overhyped but Vol fans need to understand that not everyone is a Manning and will just come in here and catch fire. It takes time. I hope people will give him time to develop.

Eric Ainge said the thinks JG gives us the best chance to win next season. This will be the first time in his college career that he's had the same OC for 2 seasons in a row. If he can mind meld with Chaney in the next 7 months, maybe he can be at his highest potential next season. 

He only gets one practice game before heading to Norman. I truly hope if he is the guy he shows it quickly. There is no way they can start off like they did last season.

I wasn't a big fan of JG all season. He just seems to be way to inconsistent. I also believe Bailey is the real deal. Still, he needs development time. I actually thought Maurer looked pretty good. I would like to see him with another year and off season development and see how performs next season. 

On 1/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, okfloray said:

Either way, it's on Weinke. He'll have 5 or 6 guys.

Yep I agree. I am still waiting to see after another full off season of conditioning and practice how Shrout and Maurer will look. I think they both have a lot of upside to them still.

I like RobVol has never been in the JG camp. I would give him the shortest leash possible if I was Pruitt. Kid shows heart but I dont see it in his head or in his emotions. Lot of unfounded talent in wings and JG needs to know that or we will be Taxslaying for years to come. Nice but we need to expect more.

2 hours ago, cowhampshirevol said:

I like RobVol has never been in the JG camp. I would give him the shortest leash possible if I was Pruitt. Kid shows heart but I dont see it in his head or in his emotions. Lot of unfounded talent in wings and JG needs to know that or we will be Taxslaying for years to come. Nice but we need to expect more.

I knew you was a smart one :devilsmoke:

You could not ask for a better teammate than JG.

The guy has been loyal. Even when benched he held his head high and never complained. He would come off the bench an do his best.

That being said, he still must perform at the level of a SEC QB or he has to sit.