Sorry for the loss. I'm stuck on Tommy Lee. I guess I'm showing my age lol

Great drummer, he went through a lot.  I saw a documentary about Rush a few years ago and they taklked about this.  Even after that the music called him back.  On August 10th, 1997, Peart’s 19-year-old daughter, Selena, died in a single-car accident on the long drive to her university in Toronto. Just five months later, Selena’s mother – Peart’s common-law wife of 23 years, Jackie Taylor – was diagnosed with terminal cancer, quickly succumbing. Shattered, Peart told his bandmates to consider him retired, and embarked on a solitary motorcycle trip across the United States. He remarried in 2000, and found his way back to Rush by 2001.

My late wife & I went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland in the summer of '02 and they had one of his drum setups from a recent tour on display. I wish I had a pic but no cameras were allowed. It was 360 degrees of every kind of percussion instrument you can imagine. And a couple you couldn't imagine.

Here's a whole shitload of his licks on Drummerworld:

Neil Peart

He probably used a wooden table for this performance.

The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa, which chronicled a 1988 bicycle tour in Cameroon – in that memoir, he recalled an impromptu hand-drum performance that drew an entire village to watch.

I always thought 2112 should have been made into a movie, like The Wall and Tommy.  It tells a good story.

19 hours ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

I saw Rush play their 2112 album in 1976. They were the opening act for Blue Oyster Cult.

I seen the same concert in Knoxville.

WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

Watching Peart play the drums gave a sense that he might possess several phantom limbs.
Read more  

3 hours ago, okfloray said:

I seen the same concert in Knoxville.

I am sure that you did not partake of alcohol or left-handed cigarettes before the concert.

I know I certainly did not. :mf_popeanim:

22 hours ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

I am sure that you did not partake of alcohol or left-handed cigarettes before the concert.

I know I certainly did not. :mf_popeanim:

Almost certainly, :fumeur: like a ritual. Before the concert, during, and after.

Then to Krystal on Clinton Hwy for some late night sliders. Yum... :egyptian:

5 hours ago, okfloray said:

Almost certainly, :fumeur: like a ritual. Before the concert, during, and after.

Then to Krystal on Clinton Hwy for some late night sliders. Yum... :egyptian:

Had to bypass the Krystal. Barely had time to get back to the liquor store before it closed. :Drunk1:

Talking about the Krystal, does anybody remember the Blue Circle? Or was that before all you young whippersnapper's time? :laughing1:

All due respect to Peart, but for my money Mitch Mitchell was the greatest rock drummer of all time.

Mitch.jpg

This one shook me up bad. I can't even talk about it. Typing about it makes my fingers want to cry. 

Peart was quoted as saying, “When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive.”  Me too buddy.  Me too.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, GiveHim6 said:

Talking about the Krystal, does anybody remember the Blue Circle? Or was that before all you young whippersnapper's time? :laughing1:

All due respect to Peart, but for my money Mitch Mitchell was the greatest rock drummer of all time.

Mitch.jpg

I remember Blue Circle, Frosty's, Pitt Grill, and Burger Chef.

In Lake City there used to be the Dipsy Doodle, but in Clinton everybody hung out at the RichyKreme.

Greatest rock drummer is subjective as hell. And since it is, I submit Carl Palmer.

I'll throw a wrench into this greatest drummer conversation.

Keith Moon was once asked what it was like to be the world's greatest drummer. He replied, "I don't know. Go ask Karen Carpenter."

Karen Carpenter? One of the most iconic vocalists in pop history was also a drummer—and a damned good one. So why do we still need reminding? In a 1975 Playboy magazine readers poll, Karen Carpenter was voted the best rock drummer of the year—beating out Led Zeppelin's John Bonham.

1 hour ago, SavageOrangeJug said:

I'll throw a wrench into this greatest drummer conversation.

Keith Moon was once asked what it was like to be the world's greatest drummer. He replied, "I don't know. Go ask Karen Carpenter."

Yeah, I've got something about that. See the guy behind her playing the drums? That's Hal Blaine.

Remember a super group from the sixties called 'The Monkeys'? Yeah?

Hal dubbed the drum parts for Micky Dolenz too.

10 hours ago, okfloray said:

Yeah, I've got something about that. See the guy behind her playing the drums? That's Hal Blaine.

Remember a super group from the sixties called 'The Monkeys'? Yeah?

Hal dubbed the drum parts for Micky Dolenz too.

That's just a short part of that video. Karen Carpenter could actually play the drums...like a beast.

Terry Bozzio. 

Karen Carpenter's drum solo on Close to You is awesome. :blahblah1:

On 1/17/2020 at 7:32 AM, SavageOrangeJug said:

That's just a short part of that video. Karen Carpenter could actually play the drums...like a beast.

Adequate I'd say. For a trapper, she's all hands. Narry a sixlet, triplet, or paradiddle one. However, no accounting for someone's preference. So essentially you're right,  Karen was a beast.

Someone can solo, showcase their skills. But the drummer measuring stick is how well they work those skills into their songs. John Bonham, yeah. Neil Peart more so. Karen, ahhh..Not so much.

Didn't matter because obviously, singing was Karen's craft. 

So I've got nothing but love...