TecVol

Mike Leach - Hired by Miss State

The SEC's coaching carousel appears to have finally stopped spinning and Mississippi State has landed a big fish.

Washington State coach Mike Leach is the Bulldogs' next head coach, replacing Joe Moorhead who was fired last week after his second season.

Earlier reports indicated Mississippi State athletic director John Cohen flew out to Key West, Fla. this week to interview Leach. Leach just finished his eighth season with the Cougars and compiled a 55-47 overall record at a program that was dormant previously:

Holy Chit! Man things are changing quick in the SEC. Kiffin VS Leach next year should be interesting 

:yikes:

My Miss. State friend is ecstatic about the hire. They almost hired Sarkisian, but I heard the president vetoed that. Not, Trump, the local guy. 

That says something about the state of Tennessee football 2 years ago when Mike Leach turns us down and now takes a much lower profile job at Miss State.  But it was probably because he could smell the disfunction coming from John Currie and wanted to stay away from all that.  I always liked Mike and it will be entertaining to have him in the conference.

Just imagine the press quotes leading up to the egg bowl :woohoo2:

47 minutes ago, VolNick said:

That says something about the state of Tennessee football 2 years ago when Mike Leach turns us down and now takes a much lower profile job at Miss State.  But it was probably because he could smell the disfunction coming from John Currie and wanted to stay away from all that.  I always liked Mike and it will be entertaining to have him in the conference.

Leach didn't turn us down. He was ours. Currie was attempting to save his job. Phillip pulled the offer off the table when Currie was fired and he was made AD.

I thought he was nuts for pulling the offer, but I certainly would not trade Pruitt for Leach. I guess that is why Phillip is AD and I'm talking about it on a message board. :4_6_2v[1]:

• Like 1

I think the issue for Fulmer and I get it was not that Leach would have been a terrible hire but I think Fulmer felt in the past 10 years Tennessee got away from what Tennessee was. He wanted a guy that could be a "Tennessee" kind of guy. Pruitt lives and breathes that kind of mentality. I have to say Fulmer coming in pretty much saved Tennessee from becoming a Vandy/Kentucky type of school in football. Fulmer brought this back from the brink. Within 2 years and going into year three Tennessee has went from a rebuild back to a destination school. Impressive

23 hours ago, RobVOL said:

I think the issue for Fulmer and I get it was not that Leach would have been a terrible hire but I think Fulmer felt in the past 10 years Tennessee got away from what Tennessee was. He wanted a guy that could be a "Tennessee" kind of guy. Pruitt lives and breathes that kind of mentality. I have to say Fulmer coming in pretty much saved Tennessee from becoming a Vandy/Kentucky type of school in football. Fulmer brought this back from the brink. Within 2 years and going into year three Tennessee has went from a rebuild back to a destination school. Impressive

Leach would have been a fantastic hire.

I still wouldn't trade Pruitt for him now. Pruitt is turning us back into a smash-mouth SEC football team.