Countdown To Christmas!

RobVOL

Lady Vols get to 7-0 with win over Air Force

Capture.PNG

Well so far so good under the new regime:

Tennessee played its full roster, which was down two due to illness and injury, and put five players in double figures for an 81-54 win over Air Force to stay unbeaten.

Tennessee, 7-0, got its running game in gear – led by the aggressive approach of Rae Burrell – and dispatched Air Force, 1-7, despite the sharpshooting of Falcons guard Riley Snyder, a 6-0 forward from Fruita, Colorado.

Coach Kellie Harper liked the outcome for the Lady Vols but not the rebounding numbers. Tennessee lost its first board battle of the season, 40-39.

“I think we did some good things that I praised our team for, and we will show them positive plays during film sessions,” Harper said. “Disappointed in our rebounding today. I have been concerned about it. The numbers have not reflected my concern until now, but we knew at some point it was going to catch up with us, and it did today. Our team knows this, and hopefully, it will get us in gear this week to feel more urgent with our technique and our boxout.”

The Falcons got half of their rebounds on the offensive glass, an especially galling stat for Tennessee.

“Defensively, a lot of times a shot goes up, and we were ball watching and not running to the paint,” Harper said. “We weren’t physically boxing anyone out. This team crashed the boards as hard as any team we have played thus far, and if you didn’t go put a body on them, they had people running free to get some rebounds.

“We still got a lot of rebounds because we are big and can get a lot of rebounds, but we missed more this time because of their effort.”

That Harper could focus on the glass after a 27-point win bodes well for her demands on a relatively young Lady Vol team. The head coach also continues to spread out playing time with no Lady Vol reaching 26 minutes on the court, despite an available roster of 10 on Sunday.

Jaiden McCoy missed the game because of illness and wasn’t on the bench. Zaay Green, who tore her ACL earlier this month, had successful surgery Wednesday, shed her crutches and slowly walked onto the court to make passes to teammates in pre-game warmups. A manager or an assistant coach hovered nearby to deflect any errant basketballs.

read more at 247

247SPORTS.COM

Sophomores Jazmine Massengill (six assists) and Rae Burrell (18 points) lead Tennessee to 81-54 win over Air Force.