LCountyVol

Vols - Bama week

OK so let us talk about this. What does the Vols have to do to stay in this thing? I am not suggesting a win will happen. I mean things always can happen but I think we all realize a chance for a win is remote but what would you like to see in this game?

Regardless! I hate bama! 

:buckfama2::bamasucks::bamasucks3:

Unfortunately I think we will see more improvement but the score won't be indicative of the performance so I am thinking another Georgia type score. Everyone thinks that the Vols should get blown out. Honestly though Pruitt and Cheny should have some tricks ready for this game. You have truly have nothing to lose. I would let it all hang out.

Not sure thought this staff will do that.

I hope they kick the crap out of them but I agree though. They are improving but there is no way I see a win against Bama. Sure we all can cheer our asses off and hope for the best. If they can keep it within 10-12 points that is a win in my book. Pruitt is kind of old school so not sure how risky they will get but they have nothing to lose. Maybe run a no back 5 wide with JJ, Callaway, Palmer and Byrd and Anderson and sling it all over the place? Maybe throw in some misdirection plays? If they try to run a basic offense with their limitations this game could get ugly. 

The game is not a rivalry anymore. It's a yearly beating. It's a game that is already counted as a loss before the season even gets started. We're reduced to hoping for moral victories and even those are hard to come by. In the 12 game losing streak the Vols have been outscored 454 to 147. Only twice in that span have they managed to lose by single digits.

I know this is blasphemy, but I'm getting to the point where I would like to see some kind of conference re-alignment where there would be more season to season rotation. And Tennessee vs. Alabama would be a once every few years matchup. Let some of the other East teams have a go at them on a more regular basis.

Schedules have already been set thru 2025 so it ain't happening anytime soon. Maybe $aban will retire by then and the Vols will be back to winning ways but in the meantime there's no reason to expect this year's game to be anything other than loss #13. Sorry but it's unfair to me that other East teams can go through entire classes without facing them at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveHim6 said:

The game is not a rivalry anymore. It's a yearly beating. It's a game that is already counted as a loss before the season even gets started. We're reduced to hoping for moral victories and even those are hard to come by. In the 12 game losing streak the Vols have been outscored 454 to 147. Only twice in that span have they managed to lose by single digits.

I know this is blasphemy, but I'm getting to the point where I would like to see some kind of conference re-alignment where there would be more season to season rotation. And Tennessee vs. Alabama would be a once every few years matchup. Let some of the other East teams have a go at them on a more regular basis.

Schedules have already been set thru 2025 so it ain't happening anytime soon. Maybe $aban will retire by then and the Vols will be back to winning ways but in the meantime there's no reason to expect this year's game to be anything other than loss #13. Sorry but it's unfair to me that other East teams can go through entire classes without facing them at all.

Every single team in the SEC should have to play Bama every single year..

5 hours ago, GiveHim6 said:

I could not agree more.  Tradition is not what it used to be, especially when you lose 12 in a row. 

• Like 1

Just as an example of how the schedule works, until this year South Carolina hadn't played Bama in 9 years and haven't had to play them in Tuscaloosa since 2009. They aren't scheduled to play them there again until 2024.

I go back and forth on this. If Tennessee was competitive against Bama every couple of years would we want the schedule changed? This has been the way this has been set up since 1992 and they wanted to make sure rivalry games stayed. I posted an article about a great proposal a couple of weeks back that would pretty much removed the division format and added one more SEC conf game to every team's schedule and kept the SEC title game. It was a good idea and it would increase the amount of times each team has to play the other top teams in the SEC. I liked the idea. I get it. We all hate losing like this but also remember Tennessee won like 10-12 from 1995 thru 2006 I think losing only in 2000. Some would say it wasn't a competition then either. 

October 14, 1995 Birmingham, AL #6 Tennessee 41 #11 Alabama 14
October 26, 1996 Knoxville, TN #6 Tennessee 20 #7 Alabama 13
October 18, 1997 Birmingham, AL #9 Tennessee 38 Alabama 21
October 24, 1998 Knoxville, TN #3 Tennessee 35 Alabama 18
October 23, 1999 Tuscaloosa, AL #5 Tennessee 21 #10 Alabama 7
October 21, 2000 Knoxville, TN Tennessee 20 Alabama 10
October 20, 2001 Tuscaloosa, AL #11 Tennessee 35 Alabama 24
October 26, 2002 Knoxville, TN #19 Alabama 34 #16 Tennessee 14
October 25, 2003 Tuscaloosa, AL #22 Tennessee 51 Alabama 435OT
October 23, 2004 Knoxville, TN #11 Tennessee 17 Alabama 13
October 22, 2005 Tuscaloosa, AL #5 Alabama 6 #17 Tennessee 3
October 21, 2006 Knoxville, TN #7 Tennessee 16 Alabama 13

Some where close but 1995,1997,1998,1999 weren't really. There was close ones though and so there was close ones since 2009 and Cody kick blocks and the 2014 19-14 game that Dobbs fumbled away on the last drive. So yes it is frustrating and I hate Bama but to pardon the pun, the tide will turn. This series runs in cycles.

1 hour ago, RobVol said:

I go back and forth on this. If Tennessee was competitive against Bama every couple of years would we want the schedule changed? This has been the way this has been set up since 1992 and they wanted to make sure rivalry games stayed. I posted an article about a great proposal a couple of weeks back that would pretty much removed the division format and added one more SEC conf game to every team's schedule and kept the SEC title game. It was a good idea and it would increase the amount of times each team has to play the other top teams in the SEC. I liked the idea. I get it. We all hate losing like this but also remember Tennessee won like 10-12 from 1995 thru 2006 I think losing only in 2000. Some would say it wasn't a competition then either. 

Some where close but 1995,1997,1998,1999 weren't really. There was close ones though and so there was close ones since 2009 and Cody kick blocks and the 2014 19-14 game that Dobbs fumbled away on the last drive. So yes it is frustrating and I hate Bama but to pardon the pun, the tide will turn. This series runs in cycles.

I don't have any problem with playing Bama every year. We'll never beat them if we don't play them. And the point about how we streaked against them is well taken. They didn't whine and try to get out of playing us.

Anyway, I see more of a rivalry in a year or two. Even with lil'Nicky on the sideline. 

3 hours ago, RobVol said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, okfloray said:

I don't have any problem with playing Bama every year. We'll never beat them if we don't play them. And the point about how we streaked against them is well taken. They didn't whine and try to get out of playing us.

Anyway, I see more of a rivalry in a year or two. Even with lil'Nicky on the sideline. 

Bingo 

Maybe my "whine" is not so much that the Vols have to play them every year home & away but that the other East teams can go so long without facing them at all. It still wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Vol/Bama game was every 2 or 3 years if it would mean that some of the other East teams would get them more often than every 9 or 10 years. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

It's been a few years ago but I remember $aban himself suggesting at the annual spring meeting that the SEC go to a 9 game conference schedule. A mock vote among coaches at the time was taken and he was shot down 13-1.

That is what I was referring to with the 9 game schedule. I think it would be more fair. Also we have the issue but also Georgia always has to play Auburn. Florida has to play LSU every year so there is that.

9 hours ago, RobVol said:

Agreed....don't not schedule Bama...make your program competitive again...We don't duck at Tennessee.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:06 AM, okfloray said:

Well, actually I wanted to stop playing ya'll.   Both sides know how it feels on the losing side of the streak.

Nobody has played Alabama as many times as Tennessee. Nobody has beaten bama as many times as Tennessee. The SEC team with the highest winning percentage against bama is Tennessee. The team with the longest winning streak against bama is Tennessee. 

This rivalry does not need to end, it’s just time for it to reverse so we can get back to kicking their ass. 

13 hours ago, XLVol said:

Nobody has played Alabama as many times as Tennessee. Nobody has beaten bama as many times as Tennessee. The SEC team with the highest winning percentage against bama is Tennessee. The team with the longest winning streak against bama is Tennessee. 

All true but as my Dad used to say, no team has ruined more promising seasons for the Vols than Alabama. I'll agree that it would be nice to start ruining some of their seasons. I hope I live long enough to see it happen.

7 hours ago, GiveHim6 said:

All true but as my Dad used to say, no team has ruined more promising seasons for the Vols than Alabama. I'll agree that it would be nice to start ruining some of their seasons. I hope I live long enough to see it happen.

It WILL happen.