Update:

Pick Ems Week 8 has been added. Week 7 final updated

Make your picks by kickoff of the games.

Get your picks in for next week,

RobVol

Dawgs top Vols 43-14 - Reactions

2019-10-06_5-35-54.png

My first reaction is.. they were what we thought they were. Really good. Thoughts?

AP

Oct 06, 2019

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Georgia came from behind for a second straight game and continued its recent domination of division rivals.

Jake Fromm threw two touchdown passes, Georgia's defense delivered a dominant second-half performance and the No. 3 Bulldogs recovered from a slow start to beat Tennessee 43-14 on Saturday night.

Georgia (5-0, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) has won 15 straight matchups with SEC Eastern Division opponents since falling 24-10 to Florida on Oct. 29, 2016.

Georgia trailed for most of the second quarter before scoring two touchdowns in the final two minutes of the first half to take command. That came two weeks after the Bulldogs rallied from a 10-7 halftime deficit to beat Notre Dame 23-17.

''When we see adversity, we want to run straight at adversity,'' Fromm said. ''That's what we're doing right now. We're taking it in. We're going out, we're going to go change something in the game and make it in our favor.''

Fromm went 24 of 29 for 288 yards and threw two touchdown passes in the final two minutes of the first half to turn a 14-13 deficit into a 26-14 halftime lead. Georgia ended up scoring the game's final 33 points.

Georgia took the lead for good 20-14 on Fromm's 3-yard touchdown pass to Lawrence Cager with 1:59 left in the half. After Tennessee's Brent Cimaglia missed a 47-yard field-goal attempt wide left with 59 seconds remaining, Georgia drove again and scored on Fromm's 7-yard pass to George Pickens with nine seconds left.

''We pushed them a little bit there in the first half,'' Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt said, ''(and) they did what good teams do.''

Reaction?

:BLAZER:

Expected..... That freshmen QB shows some good stuff. I would stick with him but obviously this team needs more depth. They hung in there for a half but in the second they got plowed

Pruitt said the goal is to win every game which is what he's supposed to say as coach. From a fan standpoint I was looking for things to be encouraged about and all but the last 2 minutes of the first half were encouraging. 

Well, in the final analysis the 3rd place Bulldogs were just too much for the rebuilding Vols. But I think we all expected that, no surprises there. In the 2nd half our undersized and unconditioned D-line was exposed and exploited. Other than Daren Middleton, another promising freshman, nobody really got any pressure on the QB. On the plus side I guess, UGA had 3 RB's who ran for over 50 yds, but none that had a 100 yd game. Obviously they planned on winning on the ground, but the Vols defense wasn't ever gashed by Deandre Swift as some predicted. The glaring stat is while UGA' s defense had 3 sacs, the Vols had zero. Moreso, they had 11 TFL's and UT's defense only had 2. The takeaway is that we simply don't have a typical SEC type D-line. We desperately need to add playmakers there. 

Maurer played well I thought, all things considered. And the O-line pass blocked, well... Not great, not a team strength, but they're getting better with every game. Maurer looks like an above average freshman QB. I see the potential, but that boy got chicken wings. Somebody needs to get him a balony sandwich and a milkshake. Another 25 Lbs of muscle would be good on him. He does seem to spark the offense, I think that's who the rest of the team wants to play with. He got his bell rung a couple times, and JG came in and reminded us of why Maurer is starting. 

Oh yeah. After Maurer's fumble the referee had the block that sprung the ball carrier for TD. In perfect position to make that play, he should get a stat for that.

Overall it never looked like the Vols mailed it in, even after the game was out of control. Georgia's coaches and players complemented the Vols specifically for their physicality after the game. Which you know, the winners are always going to say those kind of things. But physicality has been missing for several years, and I liked hearing that. So the message is, "we'll be back". And when we do we're going to bust you right between the eyes again, so be ready for it. 

Even in a fairly lopsided loss it was a respectful effort from the Vols. The #3 Bulldogs had to work for it, and we got the best game they could play. I think we put a scare into them, and I'll be suprised if their still #3 when next week's polls come out. Today I'm more hopeful for the rest of the season than I was yesterday. Positives are there, we seem to be trending upward. For now I guess I'll settle for that, but we're still a couple good years away from being included as an upper SEC team.

• Like 1

When Dobbs was a freshman I thought he looked mighty fragile too but hey, he had bulked up quite a bit by the time he was an upperclassman. 

Finish your dinner Mauer! EAT! :ohyeah:

I think Maurer is our guy. The team seems to have his back. The score isn't indicative to things I saw that give me hope. 

They played well for a half and then depth took over. I think Maurer is the guy. Get him some time and a running game that is consistent and some more depth and this team can turn it around. 

I was excited during the first half. Then the tables got turned. You can obviously see a lack of depth. Pruitt needs to build more depth and that will take time but I like seeing what I saw out of Maurer. I also like the heart the team showed. They just ran out of steam. 

I am somewhat optimistic and think we will know more after the Miss State game. They can change their path starting with this game.