RobVOL

Vols beat a very weak UTC team but improve overall

2019-09-14_17-10-00.png

They say the fastest and most effective way to kill a snake is to cut off the head.

Well, that’s exactly what the Tennessee Volunteers did to the Tennessee-Chattanooga Moccasins on Saturday.

A sharp Jarrett Guarantano and a smothering defense gave the Vols their first win of the season. It was the type of performance this team needed, and the hope is that it will bleed over into next week’s game against the Florida Gators.

The Vols were able to get off to a much-needed, quick start thanks to a 58-yard kick return from Ty Chandler that took the ball all the way to the Chattanooga 41. Six plays later, Chandler punched it in from 13 yards out and Brent Cimaglia nailed the extra point to give the Vols a 7-0 lead with 12:16 left in the first quarter.

A stout defensive performance led to a three-and-out for the Moccasins, but the key play was a blocked punt by Tyler Byrd that Brandon Johnson returned for a touchdown. Just like that, the Vols were up 14-0 after another Cimaglia extra point.

Tennessee continued to pour it on defensively. On the very next drive, Nigel Warrior notched his first interception of the year. He read Chattanooga Nick Tiano all the way, made the interception and returned it to the Moccasins’ 16-yard line.

UTC was able to hold Tennessee to a 3rd-and-6, but Jarrett Guarantano found a wide-open Jauan Jennings in the middle of the end zone for a 12-yard score. Another Cimaglia PAT made it 21-0 less than halfway into the first quarter.

The defense held its own again and even partially blocked the Moccasins’ next punt. The 21-point cushion was enough for Pruitt to bring in freshman quarterback Brian Maurer.

Penalties ruined Maurer’s first drive of his college career. A false start forced the team into a 2nd-and-15 and then an unsportsmanlike penalty on Trey Smith after a third down run by Maurer left the Vols in their first punting situation of the day.

A win is a win is a win. Good job Vols. Yay..! :Tennrules:

Thoughts? Yeah, but I decided to enjoy winning for a little while.

Dayum, BYU just beat SoCal...

I guess everybody's in shock. :Drunk1:

I am MrPositive. If I wanted to make 'chit up to pi$$ and moan about I'd have a VN account. :4_11_5[1]:

So we got ourselves a look at our young QB's. Now I reckon it's appearant who our QB is going to be. :whistling: 

It's starting to look like the Vols can put a game together. I thought the game went the way it should have, I expected to win big. Really, just a 30 minute ballgame. 21-0 UT lead 7 minutes into the game kind of suprised me. 38-0 halftime didn't though, I thought they were going to hang half a hundred on the Mocs by halftime. Heck, the 2's played the whole 2nd half, it wasn't long before I was snoring. Couldn't help it, fried catfish, coleslaw, and hushpuppy's for lunch done me in. 

anyone see that td run by maurer? he looked good on that drive, shrout in my opinion didnt do so good. maybe it was jitters but i wasnt very impressed. its so crazy how jg can go from hot to cold then back to hot so quickly. its like when he does screw up its sure to be big like a pick on the first play, we dodged that one. id say the gameball goes to the defense, especially special teams defense.been a while since ive heard that distinctive thump of a blocked punt in that place, and the presence of mind to scoop and score is good heads up football. kicking game was good except for one kickoff out of bounds, that wont work. overall i say i did see quite a bit of improvement but have to keep in mind just who the vols were playing. 

7 hours ago, XLVol said:

Franks is done for the year. I'm not sad. Let's go shock the gaytors.

oh hell yes. i went to bed early and didnt hear. dislocated ankle, sucks for him but screw it ill take every little advantage we can get against the gayturds. maybe nick satan will have a heart attack next

I’m reserving my praises until next Sunday. I don’t think JG has necessary became an accurate passer. He still follows his receiver from snap to finish. Up against a seasoned defense, I’m afraid he’s going to look like our old JG.

I’m hoping our defense has finally found Football Jesus. It’s just too hard to gauge success against poor teams. I am glad to see Pruitt let the guys enjoy themselves and deliver solid and decisive wins. Under Butchy, this would have been a 21-0 game.

If we can take advantage of Frank’s injury and come away with a win next week, I’m back on the band wagon. If not, I have plenty of yard work to do until next season .

I saw improvement and saw some fire in the belly but still optimistic. Until they can man handle and play smash mouth in the SEC then I will jump on the wagon. The competition they played was no better than a high school team. They needed this win for their confidence.

JT looked like he was too amped up. See that pass to his left on that out pattern down near the 10 yard line? Was incomplete. Could have been brought in but dang could have took someone's head off. 

On a rope... He's a gun slinger. But his stance, footwork, presence in the pocket was good. Just can't seem to keep those passes down. Then when he did he one hopped it like he was skipping stones on a pond. He needs more work obviously. Still was good to see where both he and Maurer are. 

Obviously and unfortunately it would seem for now, JG is the best option. Now comes Florida and a real defensive line. Either JG steps up or gets stepped on.