Pick Ems Week 4 has been added. Week 3 final updated

Make your picks by kickoff of the games.

Get your picks in for next week,

RobVol

Just remember 1988

So looking for something positive...

Remember 1988. That team started 0-6. Finished 5-6 and then started a very successful run that saw the next two years tie for sec title and win one and cotton and sugar bowl champs. 

So there's that..... Hey, you gotta find SOMETHING .....

I remember that season quite well. I was in the USAF at the time and took quite a bit of ribbing from my fellow airmen. The first win came vs Memphis at Memphis, and I was there....

Yeah and it took a Henton injury for some reason for Tennessee to figure it out. Who came in? Andy Kelly. That was a run

Well, I don't have to try that hard. I thought the Vols played with more intensity and purpose last night than they did the week before. Played more like a team, more complementary. For 58 minutes anyway. 

Some bone-head calls were made from the bench, and they should have known better. I'm not going to keep harping on it, but we got entirely lucky on that first 4th down attempt. The pass was high, the DB was in better position to catch the ball than Jennings was. But he could only get one hand on it, and the ball graciously bounced off and right into JJ's hands at the goal line.

Now, reasonably you judge that for what it is. A gimmee, nothing more. And there's no reason to think that serendipity will intervene in your benefit like that twice. And that's why, when facing 4th down in the RZ the second time, you put your trust in your kicker, who hasn't missed a FG yet this year (7/7), and take the points.

Because if you're sitting on a one score lead with one minute left in the 4th qtr, a six point lead forces the other guys into scoring a touchdown, instead of a field goal to tie.

Agreed. And why was that pass forced into there? Jennings saved JG again. With heads up play

Just now, RobVol said:

Agreed. And why was that pass forced into there? Jennings saved JG again. With heads up play

And Jennings was more man than the defender..Caught and snatched it out of his hands

7 minutes ago, RobVol said:

Honestly? That pass was forced in there because Jennings was the primary reciever and JG never looked anywhere else. It actually wasn't a 50/50 ball because JJ was in double coverage. One guy was running with him, he was beat. The other guy was in zone, one yard inside the goal line. That's the guy that got his hand on the ball. Better for him if he just let the ball go over his head and fall incomplete. Lucky/Lucky.

10 minutes ago, RobVol said:

Exactly. Why throw it was my point

No good reason, it was an inadvisable throw. I'd take my chances with Jennings on a 50/50 ball against anybody. But it wasn't even that. It was JG being JG.

Exactly. Which is why I'd like to see Strout. Not because he's a savior. But nothing to lose. 

Well, back to the original topic, the thing I remember about that 1988 season was the Auburn game. Saturday September 24, 1988 was also my first wife & mine's wedding day and after the ceremony I went back to our apartment & she went to her Moms for some more merrymaking with her family. The game was on so after I got the car packed for our honeymoon, there was nothing left to do till she got home but sit & watch Auburn just absolutely embarrass the Vols 38-6. I'll never forget thinking the season was down the tubes.

The second half of that season was supposed to be a lot easier than the first despite some real nail-biters to the sort of teams the Vols were used to dominating, so the jury was still out at season's end about what the late surge meant for the future. But it would've been hard at the mid point of that season to dream that an incredible run of success was just around the corner. Maybe when you're down in the dumps like now there's that kind of thing to hold on to.

Vols 1988.jpg

1988 was the beginning of a great decade of Vols football. I had just moved to Atlanta, and we didn't lose to the dawgies again for many years.

with all due respect, screw 1988. i remember andy kelly, still have his autograph on my wall. dont get me wrong, just screw all the past. to quote wayne campbell "live in the now" football has changed alot since then

Yeah I think Tennessee has seen worse. I remember 1988. After a few good years with 85-87, 1988 was totally unexpected and terrible season. When Andy Kelly came in during the 1989 season I was shocked and remember how good he became and always wondered why he wasn't in there before that. Those Kelly years were kind of like the Manning Years but the LITE version :cool: slinging it around with Pickens, Morgan, Harper and those guys. Was fun to watch. 

The point was a reference back to the last time Tennessee opened up with bad consecutive losses and how they turned it around by the mid season then won out and won an SEC title the next year. Regardless of it being 1988 we all know we want to win now it was just a reference to another time they opened up this bad. That was the point.

Not sure I understand what that would have to do with anything but here it is:

September 3 at No. 12 Georgia No. 18 ESPN L 17–28 82,122
September 10 Duke*     L 26–31 93,144
September 17 No. 9 LSU  
  • Neyland Stadium
  • Knoxville, TN
TBS L 9–34 92,849
September 24 at No. 4 Auburn   CBS L 6–38 83,687
October 1 Washington State*  
  • Neyland Stadium
  • Knoxville, TN
  L 24–52 92,276
October 15 No. 20 Alabama  
  L 20–28 93,025
October 22 at Memphis State*     W 38–25 55,173
November 5 Boston College*dagger  
  • Neyland Stadium
  • Knoxville, TN
  W 10–7 90,030
November 12 at Ole Miss     W 20–12 27,686
November 19 Kentucky  
  W 28–24 90,353
November 26 at Vanderbilt     W 14–7 41,404

We all know that. If was a tongue n' cheek kind of post. That is the point.

1 hour ago, ShamVol1998 said:

im just bickering for the sake of it. i mean what else can we do hahaha

I disagree. :ohyeah: