Update:

Pick Ems Week 8 has been added. Week 7 final updated

Make your picks by kickoff of the games.

Get your picks in for next week,

RobVol

Vols VS BYU Thoughts?

14 hours ago, Bigarnj1 said:

At CJPs very first presser, he said it would likely get worse before it gets better. Its not a dumpster fire, he is EXTINGUISHING a dumpster fire, and the immediate aftermath of any fire is tons of smoke and foul odor. Once more of the "bricks" are gone, we will see improvement, but not until then. 

*EDIT* However, I did see a much more improved team (except JG) since last week, which gives me an oh-so-tiny sliver of hope for the future. 

This is true. Good clarification. 

I'm gonna say this. I'm not a coach. Played a little high school and college ball. But not an expert. But I still would like to see Tennessee run 4 wide with Strout and have Jennings and Calloway lined up on the outside and gray in the backfield. Sling it out the the wrs it run option with gray or hit him coming out of the backfield. He's special. 

Strout is a slinger but I'd rather have 4 TD 3int guy who takes risks than average regressive and tentative QB who doesn't seem confident. 

3 hours ago, okfloray said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... :tongue1:

Everybody's favorite player is the #2 QB. 

Until they get to see why he's not the #1 QB.

Remember last year, everybody wanted Keller Chryst? How'd that work out?

He isn't my favorite guy but wheb the first guy has had ample opportunity you see what else you got especially with the team we play coming up. JG has shown me hardly anything in 2 years and the fact that he looks like he has gotten worse tells me he doesn't have it. The reason Chaney wasn't calling a lot if other things is cause he knows they can't run it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atomic City said:

He isn't my favorite guy but wheb the first guy has had ample opportunity you see what else you got especially with the team we play coming up. JG has shown me hardly anything in 2 years and the fact that he looks like he has gotten worse tells me he doesn't have it. The reason Chaney wasn't calling a lot if other things is cause he knows they can't run it 

I'm not against letting Shrout get some PT. In fact, if their going to he should play a couple of meaningful series against the starters. Let him run the 1st string offense, and get something out of it. I've never seen the point of having a guy come in and kneel down a couple times just to wrap up the 4th qtr. What kind of evaluation could be based on that?

JG's inability to see his best receiver wide open down the middle, streaking toward the endzone, until he has to slow down and wait for his QB to notice, says everything about him. He simply doesn't see the field well enough to be a starting quarterback in the SEC.

• Upvote 2

It's kind of funny though, how JG hasn't whiffed a block or blew a pass coverage yet. But he's the one crippling the team. 

So what's Pruitt supposed to do, start having wholesale rotation at most positions after every other play looking to find who's the best fit? 

Oh wait....

• Upvote 1

Close to home here in Cockyland true freshman Ryan Hilinsky started Saturday against Charleston Southern and had a big day. Yes, the circumstances were different, Bentley is done for the year with a broken foot so Muschamp had no choice but it does show that it's not a given that a green QB will be lost out there, especially with a FCS opponent to get his feet wet with. Hilinsky passed for 282 yds. & 2 TDs and from what I saw had little in the way of pressure most of the time. Which is good for him with Bama coming to town this week. 

I'm not saying JG needs to sit on the bench permanently but look where this season is going for the Vols. The first three games were supposed to give them a leg up on qualifying for at least a shot at a bowl but where are 6 wins going to come from now? And forget about being a factor in the SEC East. So what's to lose by giving Shrout and/or Maurer some reps? Maybe they'd stink it up but even if they did I seriously doubt the Vol Nation would hate them for trying.

Ahh heck, what we think is a moot point anyway. It's Pruitts team.

I agree that JG is part of the issue. The D line needs some help as well. But I watched JG last Saturday night and I have to tell you he looks like he has not only not improved but has digressed. He looks like he has that "Deer in the headlight look" and Pruitt lit into JG quite a bit. And for good reason. He missed so many on reads and open WRs against BYU. When you lose to Ga State and BYU at YOUR HOME stadium then what else you go to lose? 

I really have no answers or thoughts. I am just confused. I truly thought this was a turnaround year for the Vols. I never had much faith in Dooley or Butch Jones. I had some in Jeremy Pruitt and really thought he was the guy with Fulmer's support to get this going in the right direction. Something is missing with this team. There is just an intangible for winning this team doesn't seem to have. The one place that can change that drive the mental attitude is the man under center. I think a change might good for all right now. As many have said you have lost to Georgia State and BYU at our home. Totally shocked. I hope even though it is only UTC, this team MUST get some tempo and some confidence back. Because we all know who is right after this UTC game... :utfl:

I was probably the last man standing on the JG ship......I have to admit that he is actually getting worse. We obviously are not good and this will not be a quick fix. Like it or not we are re-building.....So I say put a freshman QB in, let him take his lumps and gain experience and we do roll call again next year...........May 2019 season rest in peace!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, A2K said:

I was probably the last man standing on the JG ship......I have to admit that he is actually getting worse. We obviously are not good and this will not be a quick fix. Like it or not we are re-building.....So I say put a freshman QB in, let him take his lumps and gain experience and we do roll call again next year...........May 2019 season rest in peace!

That actually might be a true statement. I haven't seen anything to make me think this will be a good season for this team. I hate to admit it, but this could be very accurate. Throw them all in to play and let it play out. We keep saying we need to wait until these are Pruitt's players. Well JG isn't one. So, lets throw in the all the newbies. Get them some playing time. If this truly is still in rebuild mode, then I would go that route. Maybe CJP is waiting until he knows they are out of bowl contention and then will throw all these new guys in there. That is one possible scenario.

1 hour ago, RobVol said:

That actually might be a true statement. I haven't seen anything to make me think this will be a good season for this team. I hate to admit it, but this could be very accurate. Throw them all in to play and let it play out. We keep saying we need to wait until these are Pruitt's players. Well JG isn't one. So, lets throw in the all the newbies. Get them some playing time. If this truly is still in rebuild mode, then I would go that route. Maybe CJP is waiting until he knows they are out of bowl contention and then will throw all these new guys in there. That is one possible scenario.

The one thing that stood out to me Saturday was all the Pruitt guys making plays(mostly the freshmen) but you could definitely see the talent in some of the younger guys and the fight. I think there is too much Butch Jones in some of these guys and we just need to move on. There are definitely some exceptions like Chandler, Jennings etc (although Jennings is definitely more of a Pruitt guy) but for the most part you can definitely see the difference in the recruiting classes. 

15 minutes ago, Atomic City said:

Jennings etc (although Jennings is definitely more of a Pruitt guy) but for the most part you can definitely see the difference in the recruiting classes. 

Uhhh yeah after the way Jenning went off before leaving the team during Jones last year and had then quit I would say yeah he way more a Pruitt kind of guy.

Henry To'o To'o looks like he's ready to crash through walls. Impressive already, but I want to see how he does against SEC competition before I get up and dance around the room.

Speaking of Henry T, did you guys catch how the announcers were pronouncing his name? At times it sounded like they were referring to Dorothy's dog. :espn:

1 hour ago, XLVol said:

Speaking of Henry T, did you guys catch how the announcers were pronouncing his name? At times it sounded like they were referring to Dorothy's dog. :espn:

Henry T huh..? :icon_smile_big:

Well... That ain't bad at all. The only reason I can spell his name is because I've memorized it. But I'll tell ya, I'm not ready to let anybody hear me try to say it. :2cents:

BYU just beat ranked USC, so maybe that was a pretty good team that beat us. Georgia State still sucks, and there's no changing the fact that we lost to a terribly shitty team. 

Work will be a little more fun tomorrow morning after Georgia Tech had one of their worst losses in history and the Mississippi State fan that gives me crap won't be running his mouth after their upset loss.