TecVol

Report: Wiretap reveals Will Wade discussed recruiting 'offer'

On Thursday, Yahoo Sports reported LSU head coach Will Wade was captured on an FBI wiretap talking with basketball middleman Christian Dawkins about a "strong-ass offer" he made in the recruitment of a prospect.

Yahoo speculates that the comment was in connection with LSU freshman guard and the former No. 1 player in Louisiana, Javonte Smart. In the report, Wade expressed frustration that a third party affiliated with the recruitment had yet to accept Wade’s “offer.”

Below is an excerpt from the Yahoo report, which also states that no specifics were mentioned in the call about the offer.

“I was thinking last night on this Smart thing,” Yahoo's report said Wade said. “I’ll be honest with you, I’m [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I’m just [expletive] sick of dealing with the [expletive]. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.”

“Dude,” Wade continued to Dawkins, referring to the third party involved in the recruitment. “I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

“The problem was, I know why he didn’t take it now, it was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit,” Wade continued. “It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn’t explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn’t get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal.”

The tape does not reference any specifics about the “offer,” if the particulars of the “offer” violated NCAA rules, if the player and/or his mother ever knew of the “offer” or if anyone accepted whatever the “offer” was.

Smart committed to LSU on June 30, 2017 after three calls between Dawkins and Wade reportedly were made between June 19-30.

The former Scotlandville Magnet has been a huge part of LSU's success this season and the Tigers have a chance to win an SEC regular season title on Saturday night in Baton Rouge.

"There’s not a phony bone in his body. He’s as real as they come. He’s as real as they come," Wade said last month. "He’s Baton Rouge through and through. He’s as real as they come. His mother’s (Melinda) done an unbelievable job raising him. She raised him tough and he plays tough. He’s a real as they come. I love the kid to death. He’s been great for us. The best thing about him is when you need him the most and it’s the biggest moments, he delivers. He doesn’t ever shy always when it’s tough sledding.

48COMMENTS

"He doesn’t ever shy away and the moment’s never too big for him. That’s really, really hard to do as freshman. Just think back, the shot he hit against Louisiana. He’s been great for us.”

Meanwhile Lunardi has LSU as a #3 seed in the West regional. It will be interesting to see how the university handles this. Wade definitely has some 'splainin to do and he may have to do it on the witness stand.

Along with what should be done about Wade another question now is should LSU be eligible to compete in the Dance. Dan Wolken says no. 

Remember, the NCAA is not a court of law. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is not required to end careers or slap significant sanctions on a program. And schools that know there’s a big problem on their hands are way better off getting rid of it as fast as they can rather than doubling down on the notion that the rest of us are stupid. 

This was on the Sports Illustrated site:

School officials were somewhat blindsided by the Yahoo! report, multiple sources say. University leaders spoke to Wade about the matter earlier this year following initial reports linking him to the FBI probe, and he assured them that what had already been made public represented the full extent of his involvement. If officials determine that Wade did not fully disclose information about an NCAA violation or committed a violation, the school can fire him for cause and owe him nothing, according to a copy of his contract obtained by SI.

Sound familiar?