Ozonedrifter

Here we go again ...

Ole Siss basketball players kneel during national anthem. 

Said they were protesting a confederate rally nearby.

Dumbasses must not realize that the flag they dishonor is the flag that defeated (at a human life cost that has yet to be rivaled on both sides) the flag they chose to protest.

This is what happens when we quit teaching history in our education system.

I haven't watched a NFL game, nor will I ever again, since they started this crap. If it spreads throughout the college ranks, I'm out of there as well.

They should pull these guys scholarships and fire their coach, who appears to support his players.

From what I read and understand, the coach Kermit Davis was not aware beforehand that the players planned to protest. He did say he respects their freedom and choice although he didn't agree with them doing so at a game. 

I also understand that the two pro-Confederate groups that staged a rally on the Ole Miss campus were from out of state. Which strikes me as kind of ironic since back in the bad old days in the deep south states the segregationists would accuse black demonstrators of being led by "outside agitators" or "yankee troublemakers". "Their" coloreds were quite happy and satisfied with the way things were down south, they would say.

For the record, one of the players, Breein Tyree said this:

To the people that fight for this country, my teammates and I meant no disrespect to everything that you do for us, but we had to take a stand to the negative things that went on today on our campus.

This is America, home of the Free.

This means the eight Ole Miss players can kneel during the National Anthem. It is their right, guaranteed by the Constitution.

It also means the Pro-Confederate groups Confederate 901 and the Hiwaymen can hold a march onto the Ole Miss campus for their Rally.  It is their right guaranteed by the Constitution

Here is what Coach Kermit Davis had to say:

Ole Miss coach Kermit Davis said he wasn't aware beforehand that players were going to kneel.

"This was all about the hate groups that came to our community to try to spread racism and bigotry," Davis said. "It's created a lot of tension for our campus. Our players made an emotional decision to show these people they're not welcome on our campus, and we respect our players' freedom and ability to choose that.''

Just don't forget that the 'olMiss admin granted the pro-confederate groups a permit, or they wouldn't have been on campus in the first place.