UltimateVolfan

Will Tennessee make a bowl? ESPN's FPI predicts outcome of Vols' last two games

I see a win against Vandy and an Independence Bowl game appearance. 

still..........

The Tennessee Volunteers improved to 5-5 on the season with an impressive win over Kentucky on Saturday afternoon.

Now, first-year coach Jeremy Pruitt only needs one more win to get his team eligible for a bowl, and the schedule is certainly set up to make that happen.

However, ESPN’s FPI is still lower on the Vols than most, giving them a less-than-50-percent chance to win each of their two remaining games. Here’s what FPI thinks of the Vols’ chances to win:

vs. Mizzou — 31.6%

at Vanderbilt — 45.6%

Of course, that won’t matter to Pruitt and his squad. They weren’t given much of a chance to beat Kentucky on Saturday (or at Auburn earlier this year, for that matter).

It’ll be interesting to see if the Vols can take care of business and earn the extra practices that come along with a bowl berth.

I felt like the bad thing about the Auburn game was they had to face Bama the next week. I was afraid if they got shellacked it might take away some of the momentum from the week before. I don't know for sure if that's what happened but I suspected the loss to Carolina might have been some carry-over.

This time they have the opportunity to build on what they accomplished Saturday.  Like Pruitt said, it's hard to know what to expect from this team from game to game but they shouldn't lack for motivation.

• Like 1

If they play like they did Saturday, they'll win out. Everybody that predicted a 7-5 record this season are looking pretty smart right now. I have to admit that I wasn't one of them. :nonono:

I thought 7-5 but later on switched to 6-6. I'm gonna stick with that. 6 wins is enough to get to some bowl. Win that finish 7-6. That's admirable. 

Anything better like 8-5 would be even better. 

Finish strong add momentum to recruiting. 

If this defense plays as well as they did against KY then they can win and then beat vandy and win out. The biggest issue is Missouri is a totally different animal with Drew Lock. The Vols were able to just focus on Snell because he was truly their only true threat. Drew Lock can create a matchup issue. Lets hope Thompson and Taylor are ready to go and primed to shut down folks in the secondary. If Taylor can get pressure again on Lock they have a chance. Get past Missouri then this could keep things moving and trending up faster than thought.

Trevon Flowers returns to the lineup. I have a good feeling that he and classmate Alonte Taylor are stars in the making on the Vols defense. Both are available for the Missouri game, and expected to play.