Pick Ems is BACK. We are BETA Testing right now. Read the topic: Click the link below

Pick Em BETA testing

UltimateVolfan

South Carolina will tell us more about where Vols are than the Alabama

Pretty accurate read:

Tennessee’s 2018 season — or at least how it will be remembered — begins this week.

Certainly, the Vols deserve credit for upsetting a reeling Auburn team. That game showed that the Vols were willing to adjust offensively and prove they could be successful when they attacked teams downfield. The Vols also showed fight in a loss to Georgia. UT had every reason to just show up and take a beating against a team that was a defensive stop from winning a national title last season.

On the flip side, the Vols also showed they weren’t close to the nation’s elite on a handful of occasions. West Virginia, Florida and Alabama come to mind. Reality hurts.

So what do really know about these Vols that we didn’t know during preseason camp? First, first-year head coach Jeremy Pruitt is primarily a conservative coach. Pruitt wants to run the football, defend against the big play and keep games close. That might be a perfect fit against the remainder of UT’s opponents. The Vols will play at South Carolina on Saturday, then they’ll host Charlotte, Kentucky and Missouri before a road game to Vanderbilt to finish the regular season. Other than Missouri, no team should light up the Vols among that group.

The Vols are 3-4. If they beat every remaining opponent on their schedule, the Vols would finish 8-4, which would be an incredible accomplishment considering they were 4-8 last season. It’s unlikely that Tennessee is good enough to run the table. However, it’s reasonable to think the Vols should have a chance to beat every team that remains.

Let’s start with South Carolina this week. Forget whatever you saw against Alabama, there was no fair judgement to be made about the Vols following a 58-21 beatdown against one of the best college football teams of all time. The Gamecocks are a different team. South Carolina is 3-3 and 2-3 in the SEC. The Gamecocks had preseason hopes to win the SEC East. Those hopes have been dashed. South Carolina and UT will be playing for the same thing on Saturday: pride and a step toward bowl eligibility.

South Carolina isn’t particularly daunting on either side of the ball. Carolina is eighth best in the SEC in scoring offense and 10th best in the SEC in scoring defense. The Vols rank 12th best in scoring offense and 11th best in points allowed. That’s nothing for either to be proud of, but it’s nothing the Vols can’t overcome.

read more of this at SDS

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Tennessee has plenty to play for despite being hammered by Alabama last week.

I feel better about our Vols than I did three weeks ago. The Vols should win Saturday and possibly  even win out the season. I’m not dismissing Kentucky, but historically we’ve been to Kentucky what Florida has been to us. Doesn’t matter how good they are, they’ll find a way to lose to the Vols. We can always hope.

I am sticking with 6 wins but maybe just maybe 7. I wouldn't be surprised. This team is improving. I like the heart. If this team ever gets a decent offensive line watch out.

South Carolina - W
Charlotte - W
Kentucky - W
Missouri - L
Vandy - W

I still think Vols can win 7. and go to Music City and win and head into the off season with momentum

I thought 6 earlier but the more I think about it the team is improving all the time. Pruitt and staff will get them coached up. The key to this is South Carolina. They win, confidence goes back up. They lose and it could turn into 5-7 instead of 7-5. Lets hope not.

Thanks to my wife I've probably watched South Carolina more than any other team except the Vols. My hope is that Bentley, who has a reputation for letting his emotions get the better of him sometimes, has reason to be flustered tonight. He's interception prone and has had trouble reading defenses, especially when they give him multiple looks. Their run game has floundered at times and my understanding is they will reduce the run/pass option plays and focus more on just running the ball. They also have a problem like the Vols with slow starts.

Bentley is in a similar situation as JG. A lot of fans are ready and willing to change QBs. His senior backup, Scarnecchia played against Mizzou when Bentley was hurt and threw for 3 TDs in a win so naturally some fans wonder why he hasn't played more.

The Vols have a real opportunity for another road win. Pressure Bentley, get some turnovers, shut down their run game and see what happens.

Our offensive effort was good. We moved the ball with consistency and used up the clock and put points on the board ... however, our defense could not tackle to save their a$$. It looked like our guys thought this was touch football or something. They would get to the ball carrier, make contact and then watch him run off several more yards. Sad effort. :nonono: