RobVol

Jarrett Guarantano expected to be fine

JG.png

Tennessee Vols quarterback Jarrett Guarantano suffered an injury that knocked him out for the game in his team’s 58-21 loss to the Alabama Crimson Tide Saturday. Keller Chryst came in for him and threw two touchdown passes. However, coach Jeremy Pruitt said Guarantano will be fine, and he added that they stuck with Chryst because he played well in the game.

So now the question is who starts?

Meanwhile..................

Despite the Tennessee Vols losing 58-21 to the Alabama Crimson Tide, Pro Football Focus gave some serious love to Keller Chryst. The PFF analysis team named him as the only Vol among Top 5 players in the game, and they ranked him second with a score of 90.7. Only defensive lineman Quinnen Williams of the Tide was better. Chryst completed 9-of-15 passes for over 160 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

I think they have to consider starting the game with Chryst..  Time to shake things up a bit..We can always plug JG back in at any time

2nd half, not so much.

Alabama didn't know what to expect when Chryst went in, so the defense went basic. But by halftime they had seen enough to adjust, and pitch a 2nd half shut-out.

I get the feeling that Chryst makes better pre-snap reads. Calls for protection, and gets us out of bad plays more than JG does. It seems like that part of JG's game is missing, and it doesn't appear like he gets a lot of help from the sideline.

Why would anyone be disappointed? I am glad he is ok. Think he still needs LOTS AND LOTS of work but no one can say he aint tough as nails. He has been a fighter.

I would like to see him yes. I think it would be interesting to see if for no other reason than to shut down the thought process on whether the guy is good enough to play. Let's find out

Just now, RobVol said:

I would like to see him yes. I think it would be interesting to see if for no other reason than to shut down the thought process on whether the guy is good enough to play. Let's find out

I agree for this reason as well. Let's just see what he has got. If he stinks the joint up we know and move on.

I will admit what little bit I got to see that what he lacks in talent he makes up for in pre snap reads. It would be interesting to see what he could do against a defense that prepared for him 

Interesting take on this:

Tennessee football quarterback Jarrett Guarantano got hurt against Alabama. If he’s not fully healthy, the Volunteers should start Keller Chryst.

Let’s be clear. Jarrett Guarantano is the quarterback of the future for Tennessee football under Jeremy Pruitt, and he’s proven more than enough to make that case. However, he has taken a lot of shots over the last two games.

So if the guy is not 100 percent ready to go this weekend, Pruitt and Tyson Helton should start Chryst. The Vols have too much at stake for their future to put Guarantano at risk, particularly this weekend against the South Carolina Gamecocks.

This is the fifth game in a row in which the Vols are facing a Nick Saban protege running the defense on the other side. And with that comes a lot of attacking from a 3-4 scheme that assures the quarterback will take a lot of hits.

Why give Will Muschamp the opportunity to take a few licks at Guarantano? Tennessee football’s offensive line already has major issues, especially on the interior, which allows for a ton of pressure right up the middle.

It’s not worth Saturday’s game to risk Guarantano. But even more importantly, Chryst has proven he can actually play in place of Guarantano. The graduate transfer senior proved himself time and time again with the Stanford Cardinal.

With the Vols on Saturday, he once again proved himself. In fact, Pro Football Focus gave Chryst the second highest grade of anybody against Alabama and the highest of an UT player. So we know for sure he can play, and he may be better than Guarantano at this moment.

Read more:

ALLFORTENNESSEE.COM

Tennessee football quarterback Jarrett Guarantano got hurt against Alabama. If he's not fully healthy, the Volunteers should start Keller Chryst. Let's be ...

1 hour ago, UltimateVolfan said:

Interesting take on this:

Tennessee football quarterback Jarrett Guarantano got hurt against Alabama. If he’s not fully healthy, the Volunteers should start Keller Chryst.

Let’s be clear. Jarrett Guarantano is the quarterback of the future for Tennessee football under Jeremy Pruitt, and he’s proven more than enough to make that case. However, he has taken a lot of shots over the last two games.

So if the guy is not 100 percent ready to go this weekend, Pruitt and Tyson Helton should start Chryst. The Vols have too much at stake for their future to put Guarantano at risk, particularly this weekend against the South Carolina Gamecocks.

This is the fifth game in a row in which the Vols are facing a Nick Saban protege running the defense on the other side. And with that comes a lot of attacking from a 3-4 scheme that assures the quarterback will take a lot of hits.

Why give Will Muschamp the opportunity to take a few licks at Guarantano? Tennessee football’s offensive line already has major issues, especially on the interior, which allows for a ton of pressure right up the middle.

It’s not worth Saturday’s game to risk Guarantano. But even more importantly, Chryst has proven he can actually play in place of Guarantano. The graduate transfer senior proved himself time and time again with the Stanford Cardinal.

With the Vols on Saturday, he once again proved himself. In fact, Pro Football Focus gave Chryst the second highest grade of anybody against Alabama and the highest of an UT player. So we know for sure he can play, and he may be better than Guarantano at this moment.

Read more:

ALLFORTENNESSEE.COM

Tennessee football quarterback Jarrett Guarantano got hurt against Alabama. If he's not fully healthy, the Volunteers should start Keller Chryst. Let's be ...

I totally agree with this

I do as well. No reason to risk him getting really hurt. I wouldn't push the issue unless he is 100% ready to go.