RobVol

Pruitt Presser from yesterday

One of Pruitt's quotes I liked hearing:

“We worked really hard on tackling,” Pruitt said when asked about the bye week. “We worked really hard on the fundamentals of blocking and block protection. We went back to the A, B, Cs that you do during spring ball and fall camp, which we need. We had a lot of guys who didn’t get to do that during camp. We have guys that are inexperienced and we have guys that have experience but maybe aren’t doing it at the highest level. It’s good for everybody. It’s good competition. The only way I know how to get better at something is to go do it, and that is what we did this past week.”

Well maybe it's good competition and a way to get better at something but when the head coach says they used the bye week in the middle of the season to work "really hard on fundamentals of blocking" like "you do spring ball and fall camp" to me that says this team has a long way to go.

A real long way. :mf_hide:

Yeah but I took it as getting back to basics and really improving across the board. Not that they were that far behind. Just need to worry about the X's and O's and accentuate the positives where they can find them.

Sometimes when you are in a battle and a little butt kicking, it is best to stop and reassess where you are, I think that is what he is implying.

I hope that's what it is and not something they are doing out of frustration after all else has failed. God knows the OL could use all the coaching help they can get but do coaches routinely go back to blocking basics this far into the season? 

I've heard it said that it usually takes 3-4 years to develop effective o-linemen.  For the last 3-4 years all of our guys have done is zone block. So fairly,  how long does it take for them to learn and execute a new system, 2 years? That doesn't bode well for this year. Come to think of it, 1 year doesn't either when you figure in that we're only halfway through it. 

That's why I don't expect to see much in the way of improvement this yr from the o-line. To say nothing about being undersized, you can't shoot pool with a rope.

14 hours ago, okfloray said:

you can't shoot pool with a rope.

That depend completely on how much shine you've had to drink :smily961: