I know we have some fellow Vol Talkers up in North Carolina and VA area. Being in Florida I know how these things can go and I have been looking at Florence today and folks it looks really bad for anywhere from South Carolina to Virginia.

Saying a prayer already and hope that things turns away.

Already a CAT 4 and pushing to a Cat 5. If you guys are around like GH6, please be careful. God speed to everyone affected.

WWW.NHC.NOAA.GOV

We have tickets to the Charleston Southern/Citadel game this Saturday night but we cancelled our hotel reservation & then they rescheduled the game for November. Now that they think the track will swing thru South Carolina things have gotten more serious around here. Anyway we plan to hunker down after I make another grocery run tomorrow morn.

Anyone else affected we say hope for the best but prepare for the worst. This is gonna be a big one.

As it turned out the rain & wind levels north of us and toward the coast were catastrophic but we only got about an inch at the airport and not near as much wind as they had predicted about this time last week. We never even lost power although some in the area did. All in all I've been thru much worse (Camille, Opal) and even some t-storms we had back in July scared me more than Florence.

I've never actually been through a hurricane, I've always been inland far enough where they were tropical depressions by the time they got to me but some are still burned in my memory. I've also survived a tornado, don't ever want to go through that again.

Well looks like we moved right into Hurricane Alley. Most of the models show Michael heading right for us with 4 inches of rain and 40 mph winds with higher gusts Thursday. Florence turned out to be not much of a big deal here but they are saying Michael will pack more punch. An oh yes, we are in the zone for tornado development. 

Looks like it will hit near Panama City as a Cat 3. I've been to PC many times over many years. It seems  so long ago that long stretches of the beach were fairly deserted and scrubby. You could bring a sleeping bag, park your car on the side of the road and sleep out on the beach. Now every square inch of sugar white sand is owned by some condo or hotel outfit or else some party time nightclub or crab shack. I still have many fond (and a few wild) memories of PC. Sounds like it's about to get clobbered.

19 hours ago, GiveHim6 said:

Well looks like we moved right into Hurricane Alley. Most of the models show Michael heading right for us with 4 inches of rain and 40 mph winds with higher gusts Thursday. Florence turned out to be not much of a big deal here but they are saying Michael will pack more punch. An oh yes, we are in the zone for tornado development. 

Looks like it will hit near Panama City as a Cat 3. I've been to PC many times over many years. It seems  so long ago that long stretches of the beach were fairly deserted and scrubby. You could bring a sleeping bag, park your car on the side of the road and sleep out on the beach. Now every square inch of sugar white sand is owned by some condo or hotel outfit or else some party time nightclub or crab shack. I still have many fond (and a few wild) memories of PC. Sounds like it's about to get clobbered.

Michael is no Joke at 145 MPH this morning. Glad it stayed over on the west coast. Looks like the turn to the NNE hasn't happened yet. Might a good thing for you guys. Hopefully it dissipates quickly.

Well now it is moving NNE,,, ok GH6 hope you are out of harms way

This thing blew into a monster, Looks like it really wants to take Panama City off the map. Gonna kill Tourism for a while I bet.

image.png