Countdown To Christmas!

RobVol

John Ward has passed away

Enough said. God speed to that man, and prayers for his family

Very Sad.... What a great man he was though. I'll go to my grave hearing his voice.

This really impacted me. I remember sitting outside feeding the hogs on the farm when i was a kid on the turn dial radio listening to the 1982 Bama game. Gault and Cockrell. We lived right across from the Wampler farms and we all got together and listened to this game. John Ward called a classic that day and I will never forget it.

Brings back so many memories.

:victory:

R.I.P. Mr. Ward.

My earliest memory of a John Ward called game was the infamous Jackson Massacre in '69. I remember even in that lousy game he never lost composure and gave the credit to Ole Miss. 

In victory never any hob-nail boot crap either. Class act who gave listeners a clear picture but with flair and personality. Not like all the ho-hum vanilla announcers these days.

JW poured out his passion for UT every time the Vols took the field or the court. The connection between him and the fan base will never be duplicated.

I remember being a kid in the neighborhood,I heard Johns voice everywhere I went on Saturday afternoon. Will I ever forget John Ward? NO-SIR-REE..!

You know there's going to be a memorial, it's going to be epic.

VFL,GodSpeed John Ward...

I can't put my finger on the first time I ever heard him on the radio, but I can remember his last game like it was yesterday. Talk about good timing. Rest in your God's arms, John. You've earned your wings.

John has and will always be the voice of the Vols to me. Growing up instead of watching the football games, sometimes my dad and I would tune in and listen to John call the game and throw football in the yard. He had that great descriptive voice that made you feel like you were at the game. As a kid I would also listen to him call the basketball games in my room while simulating with my nerf goal the play by play of the game. What a legend he will always be. Hands down the best announcer in sports. Will never be another like him. RIP Mr. Ward!

I'm an emotional wreck.

Even now, I can't read this thread without wanting to get choked up.

I think of John, I think of Pat, I think of John, I think of Pat, ect.

So sad they're gone, so glad they were ours.

WTF?

You know who is next and it will tear me up when it happens

Sad news indeed.  Back in the days before cable the Vols would only be on TV about twice a year so we all got to know the Voice of the Vols and he gave such good descriptions it felt like you were there.