Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atomic City

According to Brice, Fulmer will interview

Peterson!! humm??...Whether you agree or disagree w/ Coach Mathews , would Peterson fit?

https://audioboom.com/posts/6532385-big-orange-sunday-12-3-17

Doug Matthews said this morning on his radio show that in a conversation last week with Phillip Fulmer (obviously prior to be named AD), Fulmer pointed out that six (maybe seven) of Tennessee's eight SEC losses came at the hands of defensive head coaches (physically aggressive). He expects Fulmer will take a hard look at coaches who have experience on that side of the ball. 

He expects that any coach who will be considered will:

1. Be willing to line up under center
2. Have a lead blocking fullback package
3. The ability to run the football with two tight ends. 

According to Matthews Fulmer also knows that at Tennessee, a recruiting head coach is a must. 

Matthews also says that Fulmer understands the importance of strength and conditioning. John Stuckey was his first hire as football coach and the one who built the foundation of those championship teams. Fulmer talks about him more than any other staff member.

Matthews also says that Fulmer understands the importance of strength and conditioning.

I don't know what happened to UT in this area. It's terrible.

While a John Stuckey comes along few and far between. We have been simply awful at strength and conditioning.

This is an area where we need to find a proven guy and get off the money to get him here.

Peterson!! humm??...Whether you agree or disagree w/ Coach Mathews , would Peterson fit?

Doug Matthews said this morning on his radio show that in a conversation last week with Phillip Fulmer (obviously prior to be named AD), Fulmer pointed out that six (maybe seven) of Tennessee's eight SEC losses came at the hands of defensive head coaches (physically aggressive). He expects Fulmer will take a hard look at coaches who have experience on that side of the ball.

He expects that any coach who will be considered will:

1. Be willing to line up under center

2. Have a lead blocking fullback package

3. The ability to run the football with two tight ends.

According to Matthews Fulmer also knows that at Tennessee, a recruiting head coach is a must.

Matthews also says that Fulmer understands the importance of strength and conditioning. John Stuckey was his first hire as football coach and the one who built the foundation of those championship teams. Fulmer talks about him more than any other staff member.

God that's music to my ears! No more of this sideways rpo shit. That ain't Tennessee football

Guys let me say it again, quit listening to Griffith, Hyams, espn, and every idiot on Facebook groups or Twitter. Haven't yet noticed it's an ever changing list? They speculate. Perfect point, how many talked about the almost Brohm deal? What Brohm deal?

Brice might be closest to hitting near accuracy. Everyones heard "something"

Fulmer has a lot in front of him. Many options. Some haven't even been mentioned anywhere, and I know factually he's looking at them. Some even with NFL experience. Right now we're throwing darts blindly at a moving dartboard. Our members know more than some of these internet blogging article so-called "expert" writing idiots.

So uuuuu sahhhh for a while LOL

I heard the Pruitt and Peterson stuff from Brice. But I know one thing I've seen it stir up again. I do not ever want to hear Jon gruden and Tennessee in the same sentence ever again

Rob, spot on.

From my Tennessean sources that know football, and the university...Fulmer's looking to make 'one' hire, meaning a long term coach who wants to be here, understand the heritage and culture in the program, who wants to be here and embrace it for many many years...and he's not going to hire a 'coach in waiting' it's said. Meaning, Tee's gonna be HC, or he's not. Fulmer will not tell his HC who to hire, or that he wants an HC to come in for a few years and hand over the baton.

Now, Is that any of the names listed here? I have no damn clue...here's what Doug Mathews said Sunday, opinions on his views??

(here's a summary, along with what I mentioned earlier in this post.) :

• After the Schiano ordeal, coaches weren’t going to trust John Currie. Coaches were calling Bill Snyder at Kansas State about Currie. Tennessee had absolutely no choice but to cut him loose, and whether you love him or hate him, Phillip Fulmer was the only person to turn to.
    • Fulmer has 32 years invested in Tennessee as a player, assistant coach, and head coach.
    • Fulmer would never consider hiring Lane Kiffin.
    • Before taking the AD job, Fulmer was talking about the fact that six (maybe seven) of the eight SEC teams Tennessee lost to this year were coached by defensive head coaches (physically aggressive). Expect Fulmer to take a hard look at guys with experience on that side of the ball. [discussion: Mathews: Expect Fulmer to hire a defense guy as head coach ]
    • We’re going to see the University of Tennessee represented by folks from Tennessee from now on.
    • This is going to be a much more attractive job than people think it is. It’s not as dire as some like to insinuate. Most of the national guys have no idea what they’re talking about in this regard.
    • Fulmer will run this thing similar to how Doug Dickey did it.
    • Phillip has 100% control up there right now. No doubt about that. He wouldn’t have taken the job otherwise.
    • There’s no reason to be in any hurry. As long as we have a coach in place by December 10th, recruiting will not be a problem. We should be able to hold on to the majority of our commitments.
    • Fulmer will hire someone who wants to be at Tennessee and will embrace our traditions.
    •  There is no bad blood between Fulmer and Peyton Manning: fact.
    • The rumors of Fulmer undermining Currie and sabotaging the search are false. It’s a bunch of bunk and anyone saying it doesn’t know what they’re talking about. John Currie got John Currie fired.
    • Fulmer didn’t get Majors fired, either. Like Currie, Majors was responsible for his own demise.
    • The rumored two-year deal for Fulmer is false. No coach would come work here if that were the case. He will be there as long as he wants to be. Fulmer wouldn’t have taken an interim position.
    • Fulmer isn’t going to hire any coach in waiting.
    • It’s a good day, the big orange sun rose this morning and we’re moving forward.

• Volquest reported yesterday that Fulmer met with Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and was scheduled to see Mel Tucker, who is the defensive coordinator at Georgia, over the weekend. It’s thought he might also visit with SMU head coach Chad Morris before leaving for New York on Tuesday night for Peyton’s College Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Four names to watch according to John Brice: â€œAuburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, Alabama’s rising-star defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt, USC offensive coordinator Tee Martin and Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente, per sources, are among the candidates to emerge, or re-emerge, in the wake of Fulmer’s ascension.â€

Rob, spot on.

From my Tennessean sources that know football, and the university...Fulmer's looking to make 'one' hire, meaning a long term coach who wants to be here, understand the heritage and culture in the program, who wants to be here and embrace it for many many years...and he's not going to hire a 'coach in waiting' it's said. Meaning, Tee's gonna be HC, or he's not. Fulmer will not tell his HC who to hire, or that he wants an HC to come in for a few years and hand over the baton.

Now, Is that any of the names listed here? I have no damn clue...here's what Doug Mathews said Sunday, opinions on his views??

(here's a summary, along with what I mentioned earlier in this post.) :

• After the Schiano ordeal, coaches weren’t going to trust John Currie. Coaches were calling Bill Snyder at Kansas State about Currie. Tennessee had absolutely no choice but to cut him loose, and whether you love him or hate him, Phillip Fulmer was the only person to turn to.
    • Fulmer has 32 years invested in Tennessee as a player, assistant coach, and head coach.
    • Fulmer would never consider hiring Lane Kiffin.
    • Before taking the AD job, Fulmer was talking about the fact that six (maybe seven) of the eight SEC teams Tennessee lost to this year were coached by defensive head coaches (physically aggressive). Expect Fulmer to take a hard look at guys with experience on that side of the ball. [discussion: Mathews: Expect Fulmer to hire a defense guy as head coach ]
    • We’re going to see the University of Tennessee represented by folks from Tennessee from now on.
    • This is going to be a much more attractive job than people think it is. It’s not as dire as some like to insinuate. Most of the national guys have no idea what they’re talking about in this regard.
    • Fulmer will run this thing similar to how Doug Dickey did it.
    • Phillip has 100% control up there right now. No doubt about that. He wouldn’t have taken the job otherwise.
    • There’s no reason to be in any hurry. As long as we have a coach in place by December 10th, recruiting will not be a problem. We should be able to hold on to the majority of our commitments.
    • Fulmer will hire someone who wants to be at Tennessee and will embrace our traditions.
    •  There is no bad blood between Fulmer and Peyton Manning: fact.
    • The rumors of Fulmer undermining Currie and sabotaging the search are false. It’s a bunch of bunk and anyone saying it doesn’t know what they’re talking about. John Currie got John Currie fired.
    • Fulmer didn’t get Majors fired, either. Like Currie, Majors was responsible for his own demise.
    • The rumored two-year deal for Fulmer is false. No coach would come work here if that were the case. He will be there as long as he wants to be. Fulmer wouldn’t have taken an interim position.
    • Fulmer isn’t going to hire any coach in waiting.
    • It’s a good day, the big orange sun rose this morning and we’re moving forward.

This is a lot more consistent to what I am hearing...Good post

Thanks

Yeah, Stoops said no way he was coming back. However, I think the right paycheck would change his mind quickly. Here's the bigger Question.... Would Oklahoma be in the CFP with Stoops still at the helm this year?

Yeah, Stoops said no way he was coming back. However, I think the right paycheck would change his mind quickly. Here's the bigger Question.... Would Oklahoma be in the CFP with Stoops still at the helm this year?

That's a good question. I am gonna say NO

That is a good question.  I'm going to lean on the Yes side.  Stoops was as good a coach as any.  

That is a good question.  I'm going to lean on the Yes side.  Stoops was as good a coach as any.  

Either way, I'm sure he's wishing he would of hung in there one more year for another ring possibly

Stoops is still employed by University of Oklahoma, advisor capacity. This yr is too soon. I think he's going to see how this new job works out for a couple yrs anyway.