Update:

Pick Ems Week 8 has been added. Week 7 final updated

Make your picks by kickoff of the games.

Get your picks in for next week,

LakeVol

Butch's Hot Seat

Hot Seat  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that Butch Jones is on the hot seat this year?

• Yes
    • No

Given the broad range of praise and criticism that has surrounded Butch Jones this offseason, I was wondering what everyone thought about his job security in 2017.

If Butch and the team of course wins 8 or 9+ games he will be back next year. We must remember that this is another rebuilding year at QB, RB, Safety, linebacker and lineman. GO VOLS!

No, not yet anyway. We'll all have a better idea by the end of September. Drop 2 or more of the first 5 and that seat will get hot in a hurry.

As much as I disapprove of CBJ's performance thus far, I think as long as he avoids laying eggs early on, he's safe this year. Right now he's on tract to a top 5 recruiting class for next season. We'll have depth at all the key positions and hopefully a seasoned QB going into 2018. It should be the Vols year to shine. Anything less than a SEC championship berth in 2018 will result in the left foot of SEC fellowship in Butch's butt.

When the AD goes on TV to deny that you are on the hot seat. You are without a doubt on the hot seat.

Butch Jones is a homerun on recruiting and organizing a program. Game day coaching he is a lost ball in high weeds. Butch hasn't realized this yet.

He can probably get away with matching his win total from last year. Take a step backwards and he didn't hire Jimmy Sexton for nothing. Butch knows.

The program is no longer a dumpster fire. We have a lot of talent. It is making big money now. A new AD is in place. Any coach in America will sit down and listen to us. Half of them would actively pursue the job. Butch knows that also.

We simply cannot afford to play musical chairs with our coach guys.  That will set us back at least 3 years.  Even an inept game-day coach can win a trophy from time to time in college IF he can recruit.  Steve Spurrier proved that......

:whataredoin:

We simply cannot afford to play musical chairs with our coach guys.  That will set us back at least 3 years.  Even an inept game-day coach can win a trophy from time to time in college IF he can recruit.  Steve Spurrier proved that......

I agree. The only way it would be worth to replace Butch is if we could bring in one of the biggest names and talents in the country. Not saying Butch won't get us there, I hope he will, but if not - Tennessee has to take a BIG SWING!!!

Phillip Fulmer is the best example I have ever seen of an inept game day coach who recruited so much talent they won a national championship in spite of him.

Here are the cold hard facts. This is not a game. This is a multi-million dollar a year business. Literally over $100 million per year. Butch will win or he will be fired. Simple as that.

When $100 million is involved there is no, "just bullshittin' around".

He is if he loses to lesser opponents, his requiting is great but his game coaching is weak, hope he gets some help from his other coaches and takes the advice. He stays if he beats FLA or ALA.

I voted no because it would coast a ton of $$$ to hire a really good HC.   I am basing this on reports from a few years ago that UT was in financial difficulty.  If that has been corrected then I figure 50/50.  

• Upvote 1

I voted no because it would coast a ton of $$$ to hire a really good HC.   I am basing this on reports from a few years ago that UT was in financial difficulty.  If that has been corrected then I figure 50/50.  

UT's financial issues (allegedly) have been resolved and are now in the black. That doesn't necessarily mean the administration wants to pay for a sure hire coach.

I am a vol fan and not a butch jones fan. I still feel since Fulmer was let go we are getting the Walmart of of coaches. He might be ok. But I am not a huge fan. I still look back on the stupid no 2 point conversion against Vandy and Florida back in 2015. I am not a fan of Butch Jones. I will cheer on the Vols and the team but I will be honest, I am not a CBJ fan.

I am a vol fan and not a butch jones fan. I still feel since Fulmer was let go we are getting the Walmart of of coaches. He might be ok. But I am not a huge fan. I still look back on the stupid no 2 point conversion against Vandy and Florida back in 2015. I am not a fan of Butch Jones. I will cheer on the Vols and the team but I will be honest, I am not a CBJ fan.

That may be one of our discussions on this week's show. Feel free to call in when it comes up!

Same answer as last year........No.  Not because I don't want him to go, but simply because we are winning, I think we are improving talent wise, I like the "don't give up" mentality (I think that comes from him and his staff), and it always goes back to the same question, which is if we cut him loose, then what?  Who do/can we get?  I just don't see the risk vs reward benefiting us! 

No matter who you replace CBJ with, wouldn't that set us back a full five years? I've read many expert opinions on the subject, they tend to agree, a new coach means a five year set back. The "Risk/reward" experts just don't see anyone that could do a better job, is available. These guys have a lot of inside knowledge, as you would have to know a lot of coaches from across the US to know that no better coach is available, but hey, I take them at their word(s).  No, sticking with CBJ for at least the rest of his contract would be the right thing to do. I remember when his contract was extended-and how many CBJ fans were "All excited", in fact, some even complained we weren't paying him enough! I'm sure many of you guys will get over this, and come back around-after years of sticking up for, and trying your best to convince those that weren't big fans, as to how wrong they were, you can't stay mad for long. After we have a big win over UMASS, you'll settle down.

• Downvote 1