okfloray

Hurd Tweet...

ummmmmmmmm I guess it wasn't going to say anything negative online or truly what was going on because if he went somewhere anything that makes him look negative would hurt his chances. I am thinking this is a bunch of PC commenting to move on from this situation.

So many-with what appears to be 'inside' knowledge, have pointed to Hurd as a big part of our poor showing this year-I wonder if there are a couple of more guys we could bench-resulting in a NC Next year....

• Downvote 2

So many-with what appears to be 'inside' knowledge, have pointed to Hurd as a big part of our poor showing this year-I wonder if there are a couple of more guys we could bench-resulting in a NC Next year....

Any suggestions?

• Upvote 1

I think that is a little over the top. What people said was that Hurd if walking around with a bad attitude could cause bad chemistry on the team. I am not sure what your reasoning is for say rooting out others when no one else seems to have an issue. I know one thing. I saw Derek Barnett overjoyed and celebrating with Kelly after his run. I did not see that type of enthusiasm with Hurd from his peers. I can only go by what I saw. I don't claim any inside knowledge I just go by team quotes and how they have reacted.

Who said the entire poor showing was because of Hurd? Maybe over 12-15 starters being injured off and on might have something to do with some of the struggles as well. :shakehead:

• Upvote 1

There's no good argument that Hurd's attitude didn't infect the locker room. Just like that a$$bag at work that thinks they're the smartest person in the room or is just always negative. It effects everyone. On top of what RockyTopTN said about injuries. It all is going to contribute to the locker room and the team's overall morale.

• Upvote 1

I need someone to provide a link where someone with genuine "inside" knowledge says that Hurd ever exhibited any inappropriate conduct.

A coach, another player, the equipment manager, the guy that mops the floor. Somebody who was actually there and witnessed it. Something besides click-bait or internet blabber.

Until then, it never happened.

I am going off of what I have personally seen the last several games, not what others have said.  I stated several podcasts ago, maybe the Georgia podcast or the one before that one, that in my opinion (which means nothing, it's just my opinion because some will say that I am claiming to be an expert and I am not) Hurd "needed to be benched" if his attitude didn't change, especially his effort in blocking for his fellow running backs when his name wasn't called.  I have no idea what, if anything, has transpired in the locker room........I can only go on what I have experienced with players with a somewhat "ME" attitude, and it usually impacts the locker room and practice field as well.  

Hurd's tweet, again in my opinion, leads me to believe that the Coaching Staff NEVER told him that the offense would be changed to meet his style like his family has stated.  His response states that he "had hoped for scheme adjustments to meet my strengths".  That is on him.  I don't think he is a bad kid, I just think he has made a decision that he will regret down the rode.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, we've all been around when somebody turned inward. And going off of appearances the Hurd thing fits. But you know what they say about appearances, and I just havn't seen anybody even allude that Hurd was locker-room poison.

He said he has played hurt, so has CBJ. That could explain whiffing on a few blocks. I've had a shoulder stinger or two back in the day, I ain't forgot. Deep bruise, no big deal, you can play thru it. But you ain't looking to aggrivate it either. That thing finally quits hurting, believe me your gonna avoid leading with that shoulder.

I need someone to provide a link where someone with genuine "inside" knowledge says that Hurd ever exhibited any inappropriate conduct.

A coach, another player, the equipment manager, the guy that mops the floor. Somebody who was actually there and witnessed it. Something besides click-bait or internet blabber.

I do not have any link to those with Genuine- Inside- Knowledge, but I just re-read the Hurd to transfer string, here on VolTalk, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the posters didn't have that special knowledge, based on their posts.

• Downvote 2

I do not have any link to those with Genuine- Inside- Knowledge, but I just re-read the Hurd to transfer string, here on VolTalk, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the posters didn't have that special knowledge, based on their posts.

Listen Dude.  WHAT IS YOUR DEAL?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?  It is clear to most on this board that you are not on here to support, or at the least, give an honest and clear opinion of how you feel about Tennessee football.  It appears from your posts that you would rather inject sarcasm into your replies to others' posts for the purpose of instigating argumentative conversation.  Similar posts like this one have already been made by others on Voltalk to you, but I guess it just didn't sink in.  Let me break it down.......

You have, on occasion, had valid points in some of your posts, but nobody can get passed all the sarcastic BS to see them.  

1)  If you have a point, JUST MAKE THE POINT!  Back it up with facts or state YOUR opinion and make the damn point!

2)  If you don't think Hurd was treated fairly, and you don't think Hurd was a problem, THEN JUST SAY IT!  SAY IT!!  HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY IT!!  Why try to make your points with sarcastic instigation and innuendo?  Why try to be cute and take jabs at other posters about whether someone has INSIDE info or not because they gave their OPINION.  That is not what this site is for.  Most posters on here are pretty good about stating whether they are speaking fact or giving opinion.

3)  If you want to know if a certain poster has INSIDE info, or you don't believe what they say,  THEN CALL THEM OUT AND ASK THEM YOURSELF!!!!  JUST ASK THEM!!!!  Why do all of the BS posts?

4)  Nobody else on Voltalk that I have seen has a problem with just MAKING A STATEMENT about their point that they are trying to make........they just make their damn point!  

5)  While I appreciate the fact that you are on Voltalk, your "style" of posting has really gotten old guy.  Do us all a favor and just say what you mean and leave all of the BS out of it.

6)  This post isn't a dig at you personally.  It is an honest attempt to inform you that many on here would like to hear what you have to say, if you will just cut out all the nanny nanny BS.

Thanks in advance!!  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow! I don't have any inside info, I don't know if Hurd was treated fairly, or not, I'll leave that up to those that have that info. Others have opinions, I assume they make it based on something, inside info, or maybe what they over heard at the local bar, in any case they have an opinion. Evidently, according to many, Hurd's bad attitude infected the team, this 'bad attitude infection' translated to poor play by the team. If this is true, there is a probability that we may have at least one more 'bad attitude' (needs to be benched type) player on the team-I hope with the departure of Hurd, all now have a great attitude! This should translate to an SEC Championship Next Year!

I don't know what your problem is Piddlin, but it appears your 'support' of our team is not based on winning, or developing a winning team, but rather the status quo is fine with you.  I remember when we won, won big and often! CBJ is in charge, not Hurd, or any other player. If Hurd needed to be benched or even kicked off the team, in order for us to start winning, then it should have been taken care of, by CBJ  long before we lost game(s) because Hurd had a bad attitude. I don't have much respect for those that like to blame those least likely to be able to do anything about it. I've always thought that was being a bully. Holding the head coach responsible for where the team is, rather than one player, it being a grown-up. It takes GUTS to call out those in power, but it appears some, to quote you, "

HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY IT!!
NOT!  
  • Downvote 2

My problem (and it's not just mine) was simply stated in my post to you, which stated again was your inability to make posts without trying to instigate arguments.  Thankfully you got the message, now we will see how long it lasts.  I don't care whether I agree with your posts or not, as long as you state whatever it is you want to say without all the BS.

As for my support, No, I don't support a team (baseball, football, Nascar, etc) because they win.  Anyone can pick a team and "support" them because they win.  I do, however, support building a winning program at Tennessee, as well as many other things too long to list here.  I remember when Tennessee won and won often as well.  If you read my posts or have listened to me on the podcast, I have been more than critical at times of CBJ, Debord, Shoop, and players when I felt it was deserved.  I have also given praise to CBJ, Debord, Shoop, and players among others when I felt it was deserved.

I don't think anyone on here has posted that now that Hurd is gone, it will result in a SEC or Nat'l Championship next year.  I know I haven't.

As far as your respect, it is not desired nor wanted.  Keep up the clear and concise posts.  It is refreshing. :thumb_yello:  

• Upvote 1

I support building another winning team (I remember when we won). I don't have any respect for a bully, picking on players (between games) is simple, they are low hanging fruit. Blaming players (between games) for a "L", is the mark of a coward, one without enough guts to call out the guy responsible for the problem. If a player has a problem, it's the coaches job (paid millions of dollars for BTW) to ID the problem and get it fixed. My support for a winning team, is in fact based on the my belief that we need a coach that has a history of winning in the SEC, or winning when playing against the SEC, Tennessee deserves better-a lot better. To continue to find blame anywhere other than where it belongs, makes me question where that person is a real Vol Fan or not, a real fan wants changes for the better, not one that spend their time hiding, or making excuses for problems.  I'm sure the guys down in AL are happy to read that the team got together and fixed the problem with Hurd! As long as it wasn't the head coach, they feel real safe.  As long as we have 'fans' that don't call for a coach that fixes problems-before the team has to take matters into their own hands, they don't have anything to worry about. You are correct about one thing, no one has posted anything about an SEC of Nat'l Championship, next year, or, for that matter the year after next. IMHO, until we start with a goal of an SEC championship, we will not get there. I guess with the almost unlimited number of bowls, as long as you have record of 6 wins, maybe even 5, you'll go bowling, some 'fans' will be happy with a yearly bowl! I am so glad to hear you've given praise to CBJ, Debord......, and at times you've even been critical! Now to cut down to the bone, my support for UT is not based on if we win or not, it is knowing we can and should be winning, as we have in the past. I see CBJ as the problem, not the solution, not this year, nor next.  Kicking Tenn Tech's ass, was expected, I don't think anyone with an I.Q. over 85 really thinks that if Hurd had been playing-we'd have lost that game.

• Downvote 2

Sorry you aren't any position to call anyone a real vol fan or know if they are one. And now the truth comes out. All you have done is say little comments since you have been around here instead why not just come out and say it? You don't like Jones? Fine and have no issue with that but at least gives reasons and quit with the sarcasm. We are big boys around here and we can take it. Heck many of us including the owner of this site has said they weren't a big fan of the hire when Jones was placed here. Regardless there is a difference between disliking the guy and REACHING for reasons to dislike him. Saban makes TWICE what Jones makes and he has BAD attitude kids on his team and many get disciplined and many get moved on or they move on themselves. Making millions does NOT make you make players act a certain way or make certain decisions. That is ludicrous. They can try and train them and they can try and develop them but even the best coach cannot make a young man do something if he doesn't want to. Jones never once we came out and blamed Hurd. Many PLAYERS though have tweeted or made media comments that showed their feelings without Jones having to say anything. 

We all have been critical of Jones at one time or another but whether you like him or not if the team wins the remaining schedule they will finish with 9 wins. That means that is one more than last year and Jones coached teams have improved for the past 3 consecutive years. I am not a fan of the gimmick spread garbage and I am not CBJ's biggest advocate but looking at the improvement:

2013 Tennessee 5–7
2014 Tennessee 7–6    W TaxSlayer Bowl
2015 Tennessee 9–4   W Outback Bowl
2016 Tennessee 6–3 

If the Vols win out then they would finish 9-3 with a chance to go 10-3 with another Bowl win. 

That record with the mass amount of injuries this team has faced would be impressive and while I am not CBJ's biggest fan I am not stupid enough to be critical at this point in time. The job turning the team around has been admirable. 
  • Upvote 1

Unless you have a goal, you will not reach one, common sense (common sense is not that common). "Heading the right direction" sounds good, for a few years, but after a while, even a simple minded idiot must ask, "Direction to what".  According your impressive post, one more than last year, year after year, are you saying in three years we will go 12-0? And next year 10-2? I'm more interested in winning the SEC and/ NC.  When CBJ starts talking about a goal-such as this year we will win the SEC, I'll be a lot happier than I am now.  I remember 2013 he stated , "A bowl, this year"! Remember when he took over the program, there was almost nothing left, as many have called it "Dumpster Fire", it is amazing that we won those five back in 2013!  We've gotten to the point that going to a bowl is what UT Football is all about? Not for this fan! I'm for making those changes, now that will lead to the SEC and/NC title sooner rather than later, or someday etc. You are right on the money, no matter how much you pay a coach, that does not make players act in a certain way! I hope I have not lead you down that road, if so, I was at fault! Making millions along with being the head coach makes you Responsible for fixing problems with players. If a player's attitude is 'bad', and is effecting the team, you fix it, if you have to kick that player off the team, period, You Fix It, not the team. That is called leadership, that is called being responsible.  As you have pointed out, our coach makes less than let's say the NC teams coach, sounds about right to me. I hope you don't believe CBJ would do a better job, in fact, would have taken care of the Hurd problem himself, and much sooner, had we been paying him millions of more dollars per year. If this is your heart felt belief, we really need a new coach. A coach can make a player do something they don't want to, you are 100% wrong on this, and I'm surprised, a coach can kick a player off the team, so yes a coach can, regardless of what is posted on the chat boards.

• Downvote 2

Ya See..........I knew it was too good to be true!  You just can't do it can you?!

Anyone who thinks that a player doesn't own some responsibility for his own performance on the field isn't being realistic.  Pointing out deficiencies in our depth chart, and making factual statements backed up by game footage isn't picking on a player, it is being honest about the performance on the field.  Again, I lay blame in my personal comments where I feel is needed.  Might be CBJ, OC, DC, players, AD, Chancellor, Obama, whoever.    

I don't really care if you like CBJ or not.  Makes no difference to me.  That is your right.  But now I guess I'm a bully?  Or a coward?  And I hide?

As far as being a coward................. :thumb_yello:  Ok pal.  They don't hand out Eagle, Globe, and Anchors in Cracker Jack boxes.  

As far as hiding, ..................... :thumb_yello:   I'll be at the Kentucky game, section X3!  Come join me, I'd like to say HI!! 

• Downvote 1

Sorry you aren't any position to call anyone a real vol fan or know if they are one. And now the truth comes out. All you have done is say little comments since you have been around here instead why not just come out and say it? You don't like Jones? Fine and have no issue with that but at least gives reasons and quit with the sarcasm. We are big boys around here and we can take it. Heck many of us including the owner of this site has said they weren't a big fan of the hire when Jones was placed here. Regardless there is a difference between disliking the guy and REACHING for reasons to dislike him. Saban makes TWICE what Jones makes and he has BAD attitude kids on his team and many get disciplined and many get moved on or they move on themselves. Making millions does NOT make you make players act a certain way or make certain decisions. That is ludicrous. They can try and train them and they can try and develop them but even the best coach cannot make a young man do something if he doesn't want to. Jones never once we came out and blamed Hurd. Many PLAYERS though have tweeted or made media comments that showed their feelings without Jones having to say anything. 

We all have been critical of Jones at one time or another but whether you like him or not if the team wins the remaining schedule they will finish with 9 wins. That means that is one more than last year and Jones coached teams have improved for the past 3 consecutive years. I am not a fan of the gimmick spread garbage and I am not CBJ's biggest advocate but looking at the improvement:

2013 Tennessee 5–7
2014 Tennessee 7–6    W TaxSlayer Bowl
2015 Tennessee 9–4   W Outback Bowl
2016 Tennessee 6–3 

If the Vols win out then they would finish 9-3 with a chance to go 10-3 with another Bowl win. 

That record with the mass amount of injuries this team has faced would be impressive and while I am not CBJ's biggest fan I am not stupid enough to be critical at this point in time. The job turning the team around has been admirable. 

:JC_goodpost: