Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SavageOrangeJug

LSU vs UF postponed...UT may get screwed big time

I have been reading this all over social media. I am not sure though Florida won't come thru. I think they will do what is right. I just cannot believe they won't try to get a make up. Also for the fans that are accusing Florida of ducking out on purpose to win the East, I have to say that is a little stupid. Look, this is a dangerous situation in Florida and the southeast and it isn't just about IF the storm impacts Gainesville because it won't even hit there, but look, almost all the players are from the state. Those students have family and they are being uprooted and traveling and really this is part of the decision. The students need to be able to be with family if they are impacted. So I get it. I just hope Florida and the SEC does the right thing. I won't get upset until we get to the end of the season and it is official that Tennessee has been screwed. And if so then at the time I will be pissed. Until the season get's to that point I will stay somewhat calm about it. It doesn't MATTER if LSU offered to play the game there. Right now is not the time for the decision to be made. Way too many people being impacted right now

:2cents:  

I agree. I am going to take a wait and see approach on this. Tennessee still has to win their games and Florida still has to win the other games. Lot of football to be played. Now if after all is said and done and THEN they try and screw people to get them in the game this will go down as a terrible decision and media will eat them up I believe for being chicken shits.

I have been reading this all over social media. I am not sure though Florida won't come thru. I think they will do what is right. I just cannot believe they won't try to get a make up. Also for the fans that are accusing Florida of ducking out on purpose to win the East, I have to say that is a little stupid. Look, this is a dangerous situation in Florida and the southeast and it isn't just about IF the storm impacts Gainesville because it won't even hit there, but look, almost all the players are from the state. Those students have family and they are being uprooted and traveling and really this is part of the decision. The students need to be able to be with family if they are impacted. So I get it. I just hope Florida and the SEC does the right thing. I won't get upset until we get to the end of the season and it is official that Tennessee has been screwed. And if so then at the time I will be pissed. Until the season get's to that point I will stay somewhat calm about it. It doesn't MATTER if LSU offered to play the game there. Right now is not the time for the decision to be made. Way too many people being impacted right now

:2cents:  

Stupid?

UF_cancel.jpg

That's because Florida state is all the way in Tallahassee and Miami won't be impacted. Gainesville is only less than an hour from the impacted area. I'm here and it's crazy right now. I get it. I agree. Florida is not intentionally trying to cheat and get the SEC east. That's silly to me. Here's a thought, let's wait to see how it plays out before getting our assumptions in place.

My two cents from the 40mph outer bands already. Glad I could check in. Won't be able to tomorrow.

That's because Florida state is all the way in Tallahassee and Miami won't be impacted. Gainesville is only less than an hour from the impacted area. I'm here and it's crazy right now. I get it. I agree. Florida is not intentionally trying to cheat and get the SEC east. That's silly to me. Here's a thought, let's wait to see how it plays out before getting our assumptions in place.

My two cents from the 40mph outer bands already. Glad I could check in. Won't be able to tomorrow.

Columbia is supposed to be hammered. SC/UGA has been rescheduled.

Thanks ozone...

Correction on my last post. Columbia MAY get outer fringes. WEST side of the storm will be weaker and already turning North East away from the states

We actually live about 45 minutes from Gainesville. We're only getting the outer bands and we just got really windy here. Gusts already in the band of 50. We're hunkering down. I'll miss the A&M game no doubt. Thanks fricking Matthew....

I stand by my contention that Florida is trying to use the storm to their advantage. Every other game has been rescheduled.

Foley is lying through his teeth when he says he thought they would still be able to play. He knew this game was not going to happen as scheduled.

Florida has went out of their way to avoid moving or rescheduling.

LSU won’t be playing football in a hurricane’s wake after all.

In fact, LSU and Florida won’t be playing anywhere this weekend and likely won’t square off at all this season.

This weekend’s Florida/LSU game has been postponed indefinitely, the schools confirmed. The news comes one day after Florida announced it wouldn’t move the game from Gainesville despite the impending landfall of Hurricane Matthew, a Category 4 storm.

“I just want our fans to know and everyone to know LSU made every attempt to try to play this game,†Alleva said at a presser Thursday evening.

Alleva explained that LSU, in working with the Southeastern Conference office and Florida AD Jeremy Foley, offered to play the game Saturday or Sunday in Gainesville, or host it in Tiger Stadium this weekend.

Per the athletic director, LSU offered use of its chartered plane and team buses to help accommodate Florida in a potential venue change, but no agreement could be reached. Alleva said he even offered to play the game in an empty stadium if there weren’t any police available to work it.

“We offered every opportunity to play,†Alleva said. “Ultimately the decision was made by the league office, and we respect that.â€

The two sides and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey had spoken regularly via daily conference calls since Tuesday. Foley publicly expressed confidence Wednesday that the game would be able to be played as scheduled at 11 a.m. CT in Gainesville.

LSU AD Joe Alleva: “We offered every opportunity to playâ€

Alleva explained that LSU, in working with the Southeastern Conference office and Florida AD Jeremy Foley, offered to play the game Saturday or Sunday in Gainesville, or host it in Tiger Stadium this weekend.

'nuff said!

Talk on ESPN was that Nov. 19th Florida has Presbyterian scheduled and LSU has South Alabama. They said those teams could be paid off since they're money games anyway & the game played that Saturday. Sounds reasonable to me.

From what I've gathered, this is more about $$ than anything (as it always is).  Florida couldn't state with certainty that power outages, emergency personnel, etc. would be available Saturday or Sunday, so playing the game in Gainesville was out.  At that point, Florida's position becomes to postpone/reschedule so as to not give up the prime home game, the only big time home game this year.  They were NOT willing to go to Baton Rouge and give up the home game.  Florida offered to play it 11/19, but from what I've read, LSU has already said no (at least initially) for many of the same reasons - they don't want to buyout South Alabama and give up the home game revenue. 

Something to that effect....

My understanding is that the SEC Divisional Champion's are determined upon an 8 Confrence game schedule. Not fulfilling the schedule would (could) be grounds for disqualification. In the end, this game will be played...

Looks to me like the league needs to step in and arbitrate some sort of resolution since apparently the two schools can't or won't compromise on their own.

Guest LakeVol

There's absolutely no real reason these two schools couldn't work this out. Even if it is neutral territory like Florida/Georgia every year.

Guest LakeVol

Southeastern Conference

2201 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North

Birmingham, AL 35203

(205) 458-3000

http://www.secsports.com/article/11285694/sec-office-staff-directory

4. Outcome of a suspended gameIf the teams are in the same conference, conference policy dictates the outcome. However, if the teams are in different conferences, the current rule requires that the athletics directors of the teams agree on an outcome. Until this year, the rules were silent on what happens if the two ADs can't agree. The 2016 change says that in this event, the policy of the home team's conference is used to determine the outcome.

What you need to know: This is tightening up a loophole to ensure there's a resolution for any suspended or cancelled games.

Example: Florida's season-opening game against Idaho in 2014 was initially delayed due to weather. Ultimately, it was cancelled. If, however, Florida and Idaho were unable to reach a conclusion on this, the SEC's policy on suspended games would have been used.

I think any suggestion from Tennessee fans that Florida is using a Category 3/4 (natural disaster) hurricane to win a shot in the SEC Championship game over Tennessee makes said fans sound desperate, non-sympathetic to flood victims, non-sympathetic to family members of players in harms way, and unrealistic about the importance of games versus people's lives.  I dislike the Florida Gators, but I would much rather see Tennessee fans offering prayers and aid to Florida fans instead of talking about the LSU Florida game.  

Okay, it has been established that a storm was on it's way and people would be in danger. They have been told days ago to evacuate. We are talking about life goes on storm or not.

Anyone that thinks Foley isn't using a catastrophe to and back into the SECCG is fooling themselves.

EVERY OTHER GAME AFFECTED HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED!

LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said Friday the Florida game won't be rescheduled and the report of Florida's offer to play Nov. 19 was '"a flat out lie." The game was postponed indefinitely Thursday because of the threat of Hurricane Matthew.

Joe Alleva says report of Florida offer 'flat out lie' in radio interview

Retiring Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley did a masterful job of guiding SEC commissioner Greg Sankey to postpone Saturday's LSU at Florida football game. (John Raoux)

Jeremy Foley has been around national championship-winning football coaches in his 25 years as Florida's athletic director.

So Foley, one of the best ADs in SEC history who retires Nov. 1, is familiar with the phrase "take what the defense gives you."

Which is exactly what he did with second-year SEC commissioner Greg Sankey.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley reels in SEC commissioner Greg Sankey

-Tulane @ UCF Rescheduled for Nov 5

-Charlotte @ florida Atlantic postponed to sunday

-Georgia @ S. Carolina postponed to Sunday

-Florida St @ Miami Playing as scheduled

-LSU @ Florida Cancelled and not rescheduled

Greg Sankey got played like a drum.

Sorry. Not going with the hype on this. St Augustine and Jacksonville beach it's under water. The rivers are going to crest and the st John's river flows upstream. Not down. Towns like Lawtey, Palatka, and areas near Gainesville have no power. A ton of the students have family in the greater Jacksonville area. Much more than FSU, or Miami. I don't think these kids want to travel for a game with their families impacted.

Why is everyone getting pissed now? Wait and see if this even has any impacts. There's half a season to still be played. This is crazy right now. I will wait. We're assuming Tennessee wins out. Really? Might want to play the games first and see if it has any impacts. We have weeks, almost months before we even know if this impacts anything. They screw us with an announcement after we get there, THEN I'll be pissed. Right now it's much to do about nothing in my opinion.

I don't think these kids want to travel for a game with their families impacted.

No one is asking them to travel. They asked to reschedule a game.

People are pissed because it is more than obvious what Foley is doing.