Is it time for the Jones experiment to end?
I am not one to write many articles. I am more of the shoot from the hip poster kind of person, but I have think I have seen enough. I vented yesterday in the Vol Talk podcast. I have went through the ups and downs of the Butch Jones era. I have watched and been hooked into the false optimism when the Vols finally got over the hump on a Florida team that looking back was not all that good. I was elated with the luck of the Georgia Hail Mary last year. Looking back, that seem so far away. I can honestly say my opinion of Butch Jones and his coaching and staff building cannot sink any lower than it is now. I am ready see this guy shown the door and I am not willing to support any reason that includes:
- Bowl eligibility
- Buy out reduction
- Jones currently holds an overall record in the SEC of 14–21 (Never won a game against anyone in the SEC West)
- He's made a mockery of Tennessee in the press with stupid quotes like "Champions of Life and 5 star hearts and Reps and the list goes on and on
- He as now been out scored by Alabama teams 192-61
- Former Vols are questioning this guy all over social media
- Over 15-20 recruits have left the program since Butch Jones was coach and 3 of them have moved on to much better things.
- He has isolated himself with the media to where national news is just waiting for the next stupid thing he does
- Point spread has been over 19 points against the Vols in 5+ games since he has been coach. That is homecoming game type spreads
- Butch Jones is 3-12 against the Big Boys of SEC Alabama, Florida and Georgia.
Tennessee has more money and resources than its ever had before and it now needs a coach to match those conditions. Vol football produced nearly $110 million in revenue and a profit of $81 million during the 2015–16 fiscal year, making it the single most profitable program in the SEC by a large margin. Waiting until the end of the season might make sense to some but I think it is a detriment to the fans and to the players. The players need to know what is going on. Early recruiting starts in December this year. Wait on making a decision until the end of the season doesn't make sense in my mind. So you might save on buyouts if the Vols don't make a bowl? IS that a gamble you want to take? I can see the Vols go 6-6 and John Currie says we are giving Jones another year. If that happens, I am totally off this train. I will support the players, but I cannot deal with another year of Butch Jones and that will leave more totally disappointed in the University Administration. I can just send 2 grand to the scholarship fund and leave the TV off. I will still support the students and athletes, but another year of Butch Jones I cannot stomach.
The settling for mediocre from the University of Tennessee needs to stop. It is time be done with this. I may be a "Vol for life, but I am not blind enough to be a "Backer of Butch".
In the words of Forrest Gump:
"That's all I got to say about that"
I am done. Time for change.=